Picky eater!

B

ben

Ive been hand feeding Buddy the Danios left over from trying to feed patsy (keeping them in a seperate tank) but now he wont eat anything that doesnt move!

Ive been trying to feed him the pellets but i have to move it round the takn for 10 minutes whilst he follows, and then he lunges forwards and chews on it. I guess this serves me right for hand feeding him live danio but what sort of things that are cheap in bulk can I feed him? Worms are not on this years menu, way too dry where i live.

Hi Ben,
Just a thought,
Have you a fishing shop near you?
I get my worms from one and my axies
love them and they don't cost the earth either.
It might help the fussy eater!
Cheers,
Chris.

Or get a worm farm from your hardware store - they are great for the environment (they just eat your compost) and you'll have a self-sustaining food source for your axies.

Don't you have a fish shop where they sell live and frozen fish food?

Don't you have a fish shop where they sell live and frozen fish food?

A quick google search gave me this shop in Perth:
Aquarium artists australia
Lot1003/ 712 Ranford Rd Southern River 6110 (0 9490 9922

I found it on perthcichlid.com.
They say it mainly has marine fish so it is bound to have all kinds of frozen food and most likely also live food.

A good way to get axies back onto "dead" foods is to wean them! :D
I had the same problem with a youngster I cared for a while back, trying to get him on to frozen foods.

In the end, I would put him into a "dining tank" and put live bloodworm in for him to munch like a maniac.
After a few days of live worms, I hid about 10 into a defrosted cube of bloodworm - it wiggled enough to attract his attention, and he glomped the whole lot to get to it.
A few days of "disguised" food, and I stopped putting the live worms in...
*held me breath...*

GLOMP.
Gone.
After that, it was easy to encourage him to eat other dead/still foods.

Give it a whirl. Takes patience and a turkey baster, but you'll get there.

And yes, you'll need quite a lot of bloodworm for an adult.

Ok, Thanx too Roy!!! The only problem im going to face is how much im going to have to spend (money isnt the problem for the critter) on the food, there is a pet shop near me that sells live food but they charge a friggin fortune.

Whats the deal with brine shrimp eggs or sea monkeys woteva they are, can i use them? i have a second tank i would rather use than to keep frozen stuff in as i have limited space!!!

Ive also tried making a dip in the sand as a feeding bowl, but i need something thats live but isnt going to swim around like buggery so he forgets the bowl is there!!!

No petshop near me had live bloodworms so ive been given live blackworms instead. whats the difference, the pet shop couldnt tell me.

Also bought a white axolotl, seems to be fully grown and WELL FED!!!

new one is yet to be named, yet Hawkshaw is probably going to be it!

Buddy has put on the pork something chronic now, got a little worm feeder and he loves it, goes on lays on top of it when there is nothing in it, and when there is, he just hoovers them out!!

brine shrimp eggs will be too small unless you have a baby axolotl. think sea monkeys is another name for them.

Are you quarantining the new axie, for 30 days. It may look healthy, but could pass something onto your current axie, you don't want him to get sick.

Have you tried the earthworm thing, they're pretty cheap if you can find a place that sells them online or garden shop, or bunnings, if you can get a wormery setup.

My sister's axies refuse to eat dead bloodworm, and it's cheaper anyway just to feed them earthworms from her wormery plus they don't smell as nasty as the dead bloodworm.

the place that I bought the axie for i am a regular customer and personally know the 2ic, when they buy them from eastern states they quarantine them for 20 days themselves, so i think its reasonably safe!

Yeh i think im going to have to find somewhere online or something that sells earthworms, the blackworms were ruddy expensive! 1 serve was $4 ie 1 teaspoon.

I just wish i knew people that had a wide range of axie stuff! i had the choice of dead or live blackworm, or more bloody danios.

try throwing in a couple of trout pellets, the strong smell will attract him and get him into eating pellets.

ok sweet, will try that, whats the deal with breeding danios? anyone got a clue?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back