Cut or not

D

dave

hi i have an axolot and it has a cripled leg. I have had it about a year and its still not fixed its self. Do you think i should chop it off so it can start again.

I think that's a bit drastic! As long as it's not infected or he's coping alright the way it is I would say leave it alone. Just because you cut it off, won't necessarily mean it will fix itself up and regenerate any better, and the age that it is it may take much longer to regenerate than a younger axie. If you were to get it done, it'd be better to get a vet to do it.

As long as the axie is happy and healthy, what's the worry?
Please don't cut it off yourself though, that sounds way too over the top and a little cruel and could do more harm than good as you're running the risk of infection and crippling it further.

i have many "crippeld" axies and as long as they are not botherd by it they have full lives.
so my two cents is dont cut up a inocent axies just becaues it looks weird, i mean its an axolotl they are supose to
lame.gif

An axolotl's legs are not very important - they can still move around fine when one is missing or disabled. Cutting it off could cause bad things to happen (pain, possible infection, etc.) for no big improvement in its life. Also, I would never recommend doing an amputation without help from vet, so you also need to think about costs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back