Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP REQUIRED!!!!!!

B

ben

Patsy has now not eaten for 2 days, has lost a heap of wait and her gill thingos have curled forward something cruel!!! What the hell is going on?!

C

cori

Sounds like something is up with your water quality... what are the parameters? Like ammonia, nitri/ate, Ph and water temp?

I would recomend putting her in a fresh container of dechlorinated water and then into the fridge just to be safe.

Regards Eastern_axle

B

ben

here is patsy in her tank from the fridge, now ull see wot i mean shesgone half her size all over!
ive just tried boiled marron cooled down n she wont have a bar of it

B

ben

75785.jpg

C

cori

She is ultra-skinny! Why did you cook her food? Axie's eat raw meat & fish, you really need to get some food into her.
If I were you I would go and buy a huge variety of food and just keep trying to get her to eat. Your water seems fine, so I don't really know what it could be. Maybe wait until someone who knows a bit more can give you some advice.

Hope she gets better.

Regards Eastern_axle

B

ben

ive just come back from the shops and tried feeding her:

Raw marron
Raw salmon
Glass shrimp
Frozen axolotl food
All Pet Axolotl pebble things

I also bought some stress coat, should I use it?

B

ben

How long do I keep her in the fridge for? is it a 10 minute thing or do i leave her in there and keep trying to feed her?

E

ester

Have you tried a nicely wriggling earth worm yet?
Fridge treatment can be days, or even weeks.
Salt baths are the 10 minute thing.

B

ben

i just dug ythe backyard up for 45 mins.. not 1 worm, too dry here

M

mark

That Axolotl has not eaten properly for a very long time (weeks, maybe months) it has no fat reserves – probably due to improper care before you received it. At 20 degrees Celsius it’s metabolism will be high and it won’t last long. Now that you are seeing other signs of illness e.g. curled gills, skin looks bad etc it’s likely the animal no longer has the energy to fight disease – it may already be too sick to save.

If you can cool it down to slow it’s deterioration and get it to feed on some high quality food (earthworms, waxworms) items it may pull through. The prognosis doesn’t look good in my opinion.

B

ben

its been in the fridge for about 5 hours now, still no signs of eating

C

cori

Oh I am so worried for you. I really hope your axie eats soon! Is there a decent vet near you? I'm not sure but maybe they can give her an injection or something... axie IV?

Just a thought.

Keep trying she might just gobble something down yet.

Regards Eastern_axle

P.S - Alot of people are against feeding live food but you could try getting a white cloud or danio, something really small. Get some tongs and grab it by the tail then hold it in front of your axie, it will wiggle around which should excite your axie, I know it sounds terribly cruel but it might just work.

B

ben

I think it might be too late, I think shes gone
sad.gif

Im trying to figure out if she is, if i pick her up she falls back down and lands on her back but i want to be absolutely sure!

B

ben

bloody hell, ive just taken her out of the fridge and put her in some 17c water, and shes flappin around like stuff all has happened, the better half has just gone to the shops to buy feeder fish.

did i just thaw out my patsy?

B

ben

Ok the danio didnt work, but she is wandering about the container. the vet seems to think she has a fungal infection, I have just noticed the white dot on her back, near the start of her tail (see picture above) she has given me a medium bottle of pimafix free of charge. She seems to think if Patsy has it then buddy probably does as well and i have added the primafix to his tank as well. Do I put patsy back in the fridge again?

ravenous

Reaction score
aw sorry to hear that. sometimes there is unseen injuries or illness that you can do nothing about.

N

natashja

i feel so much for you. i lost a tiny starved axie in the same way, it is so hard to see them go that way.you feel so helpless

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1