Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Finally got my axies today!

D

danny

After a long wait, the pet shop finally gave the call I've been waiting for.
After picking them up, I saw something with one of the 2 axies: the gills are very small.
75789.jpg

Should I put him in the fridge, or will this heal by itself?

I really don't want to return him to the shop, because they're really hard to get here and I think that the axies survival chances are way higher with me..

The other axie has a V shape in his tail, I'll post a pic of that later.

They are still very small, I think about 10-12cm. Are earthworms still good to feed them now? I'll chop the worms in a couple of pieces, because some of the worms are longer then the axies
happy.gif

They do look a bit skinny to me, is this the case, or are those young ones usually like this?

(Message edited by damien on January 05, 2007)

J

jay

One of our axies has really short gills as well. there is nothing wrong as far as i know, our axie seems perfectly happy and se is the queen in our tank. She is the golden albino in our avatar.

S

sara

The small gills shows they've been in an oxygen rich enviroment, I've noticed gills size changes in the blink of an eye to cope with their surroundings, my avatar photo was took about three weeks ago and his gills have almost tripled in size since then.

F

forrest

absolutely beautiful green looking axolotl.

Hope to have one that color one day.

D

deb

Earthworms are fine at this age. They love frozen bloodworms too (thawed!).

D

danny

I've bought some frozen stuff today (they said it was tubifex, but the label says that they're red musquito larvae. I'm currently waiting for the pallet te defrost a bit, so I don't give my axies a tummy ache :p
I tried to give them dendro's, but one of them regurgitated them after about half an hour after eating them. I assume that they're just too big, even after cutting them up. I think they have trouble swallowing them, since the worms are quite thick.

How many of those blocks should I feed them? 1 block per axie, or should I just see how much they eat?

Here are some more pictures:
76055.jpg

Duo's Tail

76056.jpg

Wooper in full glory
happy.gif

(those flake like things on his/her tail, is that normal?)

K

karrie

The flakes or just colour. Mine is about 8 inches long he eats 2 cubes at a time. What they sold you is also called blood worms.

D

danny

I don't know if the whitish stuff is color or something else.. it's not fluffy or anything.

Is it okay to put the frozen pellets in the tank, or do they need to be defrosted?
The pellet I put in was defrosted, and the result of that was that the tank was covered with bloodworms
happy.gif

My 2 gilled "vacuum cleaners" ate them all, so no problem there, but I think if I put in 2 pellets that it's going to be a big mess.
lame.gif

K

karrie

You can use a big eye dropper or a turkey baster and drop them slowly in a dish. When mine grew back his gill and put on weight he ate alot watch out for that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1