Oil?!?!?!?!?!

B

ben

flaoting ont op of the water on my tank looks ot be oil.

The only difference being it isnt coloured, its almost white in the light!

the water is perfect, the temp is near perfect (19c) what the hell has gone on?!?!?!?!

Sounds like a protein film.
Nothing to panic about, you just need to remove uneaten food more often.
Try using a syphon to clean the tank with - it picks up a lot more yack.
To remove film: Lay a sheet of unbleached kitchen paper on the water, and remove.
To prevent film: see cleaning, above. Also, try adding a small bubbler - this will agitate the water surface, helping to dissipate what's left/stop it reforming.
Hope that helps.
(It happens to everyone from time to time - my filter slipped down the other week, and I got it. All gone by the next day, newts very happy still.)

Ahh ok cool! i thought it was going to be something very serious! thanx heaps!

More than welcome.
As I say, just keep on top of the housework (laughs) and everything will be aye okay!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back