Feeding

M

matt

Hey I have a baby axie and I usually only feed him when he comes up to the top of the tank to cruise around. I'm wondering if you all do the same or use a different technique? I put the piece of brine shrimp(or whatever im feeding him) around his face and kind of push it around until he gulps it down.

I think I read somewhere that they can go a week without eating but I want it to be well fed!

Not sure what you mean by 'baby' but if your axie is just less than about 10 months old it will like to be fed every day. Adult axies can go long periods without eating. I'd feed him daily even if he doesn't come cruising on the surface. Either reach into the tank to offer him the food (frozen blood worms? little bits of meat? earthworms?) or maybe use a wooden kebab stick to skewer the food.

What size is your axie and how long have you had him/her?

If they're up to 10cm feed twice a day
10-15cm feed once a day
15cm-20cm once every 2 days
20cm+ once every 3-4 days tho this can vary or are occasionally longer depending on temperature and appetite.

We handfeed some of our tanks, and use the kebab sticks in the others where the tanks are too high to reach in. Only feed earthworms and occasional strips of meat jiggled in front of them.

Ours have never come to the top to be fed and will snuffle round for the food they miss, but alot of times will miss it completely unless it's jiggled nearby.

(Message edited by kapo on December 20, 2006)

He's definitely less than 10 cm... I'd say 7 or 8. I've only had him for about a week now. Not sure exactly what age he.

I've just been feeding him spirulina enhanced frozen brine shrimp and occasionally frozen bloodworms.

Interesting info, thanks!

(Message edited by EternalPum on December 20, 2006)

how much are they ment to eat i give mine pellets and she refuses to eat more than 3 is this normal or should i try and get her to eat more

Charlotte, it's impossible to say without knowing: how large/old is the axolotl? How often does it get fed? How large are the pellets? It may be better to feed more often, rather than a larger amount. And 3 pellets may be more than enough already.

it's 5 inches long and the pellets are about a centimetre long and quite thin i feed her everyday should i try feeding her more than once a day

I use tweezers for the floating foods. But if he's getting meat, pellets or a sinking fish food they'll go in his bowl. :D I feed him a big mix!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back