Hi, I'm new.

B

bex

Hey everybody.

My name is Bec and I live in Melbourne!

I have recently decided to get a couple of Axolotls and I looked up some information and found this site.

I'm going to wait till I move into my new house
(which is Jan 20-25th)which gives me plenty of time to learn more info to get them ready.

I can't believe how much I learned just by lurking
rofl.gif
...(ok, mainly that gravel is a no-no. I found that surprising because my bestie uses gravel and her axolotl is alright)

I have not brought a fish tank because I am still looking...but is a 80 cm fish tank ok for 2 Axolotls?

I keep getting different answers everywhere!

(Message edited by bex on December 17, 2006)

80cm is a good size fish tank for 2 axolotls and gives them enuf room to roam or own space.

Saying your bestie, which i can only assume means best friend?, uses gravel and axolotl is alright may be the case; but axolotls do tend to snuffle round in substrate looking for food and invariably swallows it when they open their mouths to suck food in. Chances are if you put it in a tank/container without substrate you'll find over time it poos out whatever gravel it has in its body; and I can attest to this as our 4 3yr old axies had been on gravel and glass pebbles (the rounded ones) with previous owners, and we have a quite a collection of pebbles and gravel; last ones only found less than 2 weeks ago and we've owned them since Jan/Mar this year. Thankfully they've never blocked up completely and had a prolapse or died which is what could possibly happen at its worst. Also a lot of waste/gunk gets trapped beneath gravel.

Try and cycle your tank before you get your axolotls (can take up to 8 weeks). See: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

also www.axolotl.org

As well as a siphon, invest in a turkey baster, they save so much time in daily spot cleaning.

Thanks for your reply
happy.gif

Haha yes "bestie" is short for best friend.

What should the height of the tank be?

I found a 80 litre tank but I feel kind of guilty because we have a water drought and 80 litres just seem a lot. But I suppose I don't have to fill it all the way to the top.

Is there anything that help 'speed' up the process of cycling?

hi bec. you only need to fill the tank as deep as the your axies are long apparently, i've got mine filled right to the top at the mo because its in my living room and i think it looks nicer (it does rain pretty much everyday where i am!). plus i like to watch steve swim up and down.
i cycled my tank for the first time not so long ago and pretty much every one on here suggested just leaving it to sort its self out rather than adding anything you can buy off the shelf to speed it up.
kapo also pointed me in the direction of the link above and it is really really helpful!
i also agree with the turkey baster, i use mine daily.

Our tank height/s range from 35-40cm in height, we keep ours a couple of cm below top.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back