Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 2.0
Nitrate: 40

This week's levels
PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.50
Nitrate: 30/40

So good news is levels are coming down, but what do I need to do to get the Nitrate levels down?

Water changes or heavily planting the tank is the only thing that will bring nitrates down.

Check your tap water too.
I found mine was DISGUSTINGLY high, anywhere up to 140 in summer the closer to the town you get.
(I try the water in several places lol)

To me, a nitrate level of 40 sounds just fine. As long as you always continue doing the usual 10-20% water change every week, I wouldn't worry about that amount of nitrate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back