Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Suitable Cave??

T

tracey

Having trouble finding something to use as a suitable cave for ugly - tried pots, she didn't like, tried a tank orniment with large hole, she didn't like - what other things do people use for caves?

A

amber

Interpet Nautical Treasures medium half-log.
It's a resin log, open both ends, with a "window" in the front, and a "chimney".

Spyyk adores this thing. She likes to bound through the window to see me when I come home at night.

A

annmarie

I built a few caves and my guys love them.

here is what you need. Silicone Aquarium Sealant. not too expensive. Their favourite is make out of an old broken tetra whisper filter with some river rocks glued to it. You can also make some up of glueing river rocks together(very heavy cave) or glueing slate like a cave or any other axolotl safe rocks. Just let the glue set for about 48 hours before adding to the axolotl home. Cave doesnt need a bottom unless there is something nice and smooth axolotl will want to rest on.

Axolotl prefers homemade rock caves to store bought porceline(or whatever) and plastic areas.

M

malachy

Mine have had a log cave like that too amber, but they didnt like it, and now take comfort in their other caves, made simply out of coffee mugs lain on the side. :D Seems my pets are a little odd.

G

green

malachy, why dont you use the mugs and decorate the outside by glueing on stones

T

tracey

having finally found something she likes. a large class storage jar on its side.!

M

malachy

thats a good idea Green, cos i dont actually like the look of the mugs. U live in aussie land, do u know if Bunnings sells aquarium safe silicone? Or do i have to ask for it special?

G

green

i think as long as the silicone doesnt seep chemicals you sould be ok

C

chris

Hi Malachy,
Yes Bunnings do sell
aquarium safe silicone.
I bought some there when
I had a leaking tank.
Cheers,
Chris.

A

amber

I got mine from a local aquatics store, however you can find awesome caves online, especially the big e-marketplaces where you can bid for them.
Try some of the larger pet stores.

See Mods, no names/advertising.
*hmphs*

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1