Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just a few Questions

G

gilmore

Hey everyone!, I’m getting prepared to buy an axolotl but before I do so I’ve got a few questions:
bowl.gif

1. How much is the average cost for a aquarium that is 2ft long & 1ft wide?
2. How many times a week should I clean the tank?
3. How many times a week should I feed him/her?
4. Is it a good idea to have two axolotls so they don’t get lonely?
5. If so, what size tank will I need?
6. What type of filter should I get & how much will it cost?
7. What is the average lifespan of an axolotl?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I guess it’s better than me getting an axolotl and it getting sick , stressed or even worse, dying.
errr.gif

All feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance!
biggrin.gif

K

karrie

I have a few of th answers. The tank I got over here is about 30inch by 12inch. 20 gal long the more floor space the better. 25.00 You should spot clean every day for left over food and poo. A small water change once a week. The feeding depends on how big it is mine is about 5-6 inches. I feed him every other day unless he's really looking for food I will feed him more. You can have 2 but you will need a bigger tank. I would get about 3 foot or so. I just got fluval 2 pluse love it. It goes in the tanks I would get the carbon to add to it. Some thing else you might want to think about is getting live plants they will help keep the water in good shape. Sorry the filter with the carbon was about 30.00. Please dont use gravel use sand or bare floor they will eat the gravel and cause all kinds of problems. Play/pool filter sand is cheap. Dont get from the beach or park. it will have stuff in it you will not want. Dont feel bad, ask all the question you want to get started right. The pet store told me all the wrong things its better to start out right. Alot less problems.

A

amber

1: About £20 for the glass box. My filter was about £25.
2: Once a week is normal, syphon well. Cycle properly first.
3: 2-3 from about 4.5" onwards. Every day below, small amounts.
4: As long as they're roughly the same size, and you're not too worried about babies. Single 'lotls are just as happy.
5: Three foot is recommended.
6: Lots of controversy. Bigger tanks often have canister filters. Very useful.
7: There have been all sorts of rumours! I'll let you know when any of mine pass away lol!

G

gilmore

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing now.
biggrin.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!