Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

NOT EATING ! !

O

osman

my axlotl deosnt eat man help it hasent ate since i got it which is 4 days HELP

ravenous

Reaction score
4 days isnt a long time to go without food.

what are you trying to feed him?

M

matthew

My first axie went over a week before eating. Its only natural. If you're feeding him pellets, and he was brought up on living food (ie wriggling worms, crickets, etc) he'll learn to recognise falling pellets as food. Just be patient, when he's hungry he'll eat.

O

osman

I feed it grubs that i bought from the lady that sold me the axolotl and i also feed it pellets

O

osman

nah not yet.
ive read through that article, and it looks like i'll have to do it with the axie in it.
Since i got it ive been changing the water 20% everyday

kapo

Reaction score
If he doesn't eat, and you can't get earthworms try a bit of raw meat cut in thin strips (minus fat and tendons), about 1/2 inch long.

Invest in a turkey baster, if you don't already have one and clean up any poos (if you manage to find them - they sometimes disintegrate) and or uneaten/regurgitated food (once he starts to eat).

Also, keep an eye on your temps that may also stress him, it must be warmer than ours is at the moment!

O

osman

he still isnt eating, and looks very slim.
went out and found some earthworms but he still wouldnt eat

M

matthew

Is he showing any visible signs of stress?

These are:

1) Gills curled forward.

2) Tail curved in either a left or right direction

3) small bumps on the skin, such as the head

4) small white/grey coloured ares on the skin

Does he show any interest in the food at all? For example, when you wave food near his head, does he follow it?

O

osman

I cant see if his the feathery gill bits are curled forward, because there wasnt much on there when i got him, but it doesnt seem to be curled forward.
His tail doesnt seem to be curved to any direction.
Im pretty sure there isnt any bumps on him, and there isnt any white/grey ares on his skin.
Also he doesnt show no interest in the food, he doesnt follow it, i waved the food around his head abit today he moved his head slowly abit but thats all, nothing else

O

osman

had a better look today, and the tail does look abit curved, but it sometimes is and sometimes isnt, so im not so sure if it is stress related

heres a pic of how its abit curved,
osmanabz002.jpg

(Message edited by mraxe on December 05, 2006)

kapo

Reaction score
when an axie is stressed the tail curling is usually the very tip/end of the tail. from the picture you posted you can't see the tail tip. He does look a little skinny; did you check with the previous owner whether they had a problem with feeding and what other alternatives they used that it ate.

And how old or how long is your axie, if you don't know age?

E

edward

Osman,

Please do not post links to the picture as this is a violation of the forum policies. You can upload the picture to the site.

Thanks

Ed

andrew

Reaction score
Hi Osman,
How's your axie doing. As a recent axie aquirer I can understand your concern. Mine didn't eat for a week after I got it home. Eventually I took to pulling it out and dropping it in a bowl of tank water to feed, and one day it just went crazy snapping at everything in sight. Hand feeding in shallow bowl was just easier and cleaner. It still prefers my fingers to food!

D

denise

osman you could always try feed something very smelly like prawns or fish, when my get a bit off i feed then squid, they go crazy and cant resist it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1