Do i have to have a filter???

T

tracey

I think Ugly is stressed. Her tail has always been transparent but it is starting to curl slightly. Therefore I have 2 questions.

1) Do a actually need the filter if i do regular water changes - when the filter is turned on she just hangs around the bottom of the tank, but this morning i turned it off and she has started swimming all around the place and seems to love the top of the tank. I have a fluval internal filter in there which is turned to its lowest setting normally and the flow is pointed to the glass.

2) If she does have tail curl, what do I need to do to treat it?

Have never had a rescued animal that has turned out so complicated to look after before!

The first thing you may concern's the water flow in your tank, if it's too strong due to the filter, you may consider to change another one!
happy.gif
It could make him stressful, as you mentioned he only swim up and play when the filter was turned off, it may bothering him.

I hope it helps!
happy.gif

Have a Fluvl 4 in there at the moment - have a spare 3 at home so will try that and see if it helps - will the tail curl clear itself up?

I have a Fluvl 2 in mine. It's a 20 gal. long. What size it your tank. Maybe the filter is a little to big. You could try putting some thing in front of it to break the flow up.

Not sure of the gal size as the tank was made for me but it takes roughly 7 standard kitchen buckets of water too fill it. the F4 was the size the fish used to need.

What size is the tank in inch's?
The Fluval 4 is for a 4 foot (48inch) Tank.
I have a fluval 3plus in my 3 foot tank with a home made spray bar which works great and breaks up the waters flow so Bilbo has never been stressed.
74350.jpg

74351.jpg

we have a couple of tanks without filters, only cos we've had a hit and miss affair with some of the filters we've bought. But, I test every day to make sure things are ok and hubby changes 20% every 2 days.

Ricky how did you make the spray bar. Is it just a pice of tube? Thanks

I changed the Fluval 4 for the 3 and have attached a spray bar that I picked up from Pets @ Home last night (costs £4.99 and fits all 4 of the Fluval filters)

I have pointed the spray at the glass so at the moment there is almost no movement of plants etc in the tank. Will see what she thinks of that. Not sure of the tank size but will measure over w.end.

Hi Karrie,
It's just a piece of plastic plumbing pipe I had in the Garage, Plugged at one end and a piece of clear tube, which runs about 5 inch's into the other end, so I can take the filter off to give it a good clean.
Very simple but effective.

Fingers crossed the spray bars helps Tracey.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back