Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Adding another Axie

T

tracey

Hi

I've had Ugly for just over 2 weeks now and was wondering if i wanted to give her a friend (ie another Axie) what do I have to do? can I just put the new one straight into the tank with her?

A

annmarie

I would quarantine any new friends for Ugly for observation. We don't want to get Ugly sick, especially if new friend is from a pet store. A few weeks in quarantine should get all the evil out of the new friend, and this way if the new friend is sick, Ugly will stay healthy and new friend can be be treated accordingly and quickly.

My axolotls seem to be a lot happier with "friends" so good luck. Even though axolotl will share their caves, I find it a good rule to have one cave per axolotl. Axolotl display quite interesting bahavior when having a friend and they sure are fun to watch. Make sure Ugly's new friend isnt too small, too small can mean new friend will become new dinner. Similar sizes should work. If the new friend is really small, they fatten up pretty fast.

Good luck and remeber to take lots of pictures of your happy axolotl family!

J

jacob

I agree, a few weeks in isolation should always be on top of your list of things to do when getting new salamanders to add to an established tank.

A

amber

30 days is best. This is reccommended for ANY new pet, whether axolotl, cat, whatever.

Any illness should either become apparant or work out in that time.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!