Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Under Gravel Filter?

N

nya

I was wondering, what are everyones thoughts on undergravel filters with Axies?

I have one covered in gravel and then covered in sand so my axies don't swallow up the gravel.

I have noticed that they look like they are moon walking when moving around the floor of the tank, is this normal, or could this be due to the undergravel filter, and if so, could this be stressing them out.

Apart from the moon walking them seem happy and their tails are nice and straight.

A

amber

You might find that the sand impacts and causes anerobic pockets. These cause nasty chemicals to build up inside them.

I personally HATE hate HATE UG trays - they are difficult to clean and make an awful mess trying to.

But no doubt others have advice and opinions, so I'll let them say too!
happy.gif

J

jacob

I use under gravel filters in nearly all of my axolotl tanks with few problems. I usually place 1" river rocks on the bottom and top them off with big flat rocks too big for them to swallow. I have never used sand, so I wouldn't know what to tell you there.

N

nya

I have noticed clumps of sand when i have been spot cleaning. I'm not sure whats for the best. Does anyone else have good/bad experiences?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1