Food for baby axolotls?

tony

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Anthony mcgill
Hi, im new to this forum as just recently, i.e. two days ago, all six of my baby axolotls have hatched!
I have also been hatching baby brine shrimp from the time that they have were active in their little jelly eggs but now, im a little lost on how to be feeding them... So far, most of the small baby brine shrimp have been ignored with the exception of two which basically swam into the little one's mouth.

Any suggestions or tips on how to be feeding these little cuties?

In my experience the baby axies will take the shrimp they want. I don't know how you saw 2 of them swim into a mouth, cos they are really tiny right? Do you turkey baste the BBS into the tank? That way you can position them right on top of the babies.

Baby axies usually don't eat much (if anything) for the first few days. Also, they don't track down their food, they wait for a brine shrimp to swim by and then gulp it in. Then it may be a long wait for the next one to swim by. Sounds like you're on the right track, it just takes a while (until their yolk is entirely gone) for their appetite to kick in.

thanks for the advice, you were probably right, they might not have been hungry for the first few days.
The axolotls are more active now and seem to be eating enough of their food.

I am very very new to the wonderful world of axolotls. I inherited 3 eggs from my daughter, who is very busy with her 3 older axolotls. I have the brine shrimp hatchery going, I put all 3 eggs in a very small tank so they can catch the shrimp easier, I have a 10 gallon tank ready with dividers so they won't attack each other when they are bigger and in their "teen rebel" stage. I am looking for moina/daphne. Where is the best place to find them? Did I forget anything? My daughter is busy with her bio studies and I don't want to bug her, I want to impress her by doing what I can on my own. I also want the very best for my new grand-babies.

to Liz - you can Google to find a bunch of places that will sell you daphnia/moina. The cheapest place I have found is www.dallasdiscus.com. They are quite reliable. However, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. If you have baby brine shrimp, that will do well for them for the first couple of weeks. Beyond that, I'd really recommend finding live blackworms. Start calling your local pet shops and see who carries them.

Hello dearest! I bought mine from Dallas discus last year with great results
happy.gif
I preferred the moina just because dicing up worms was a lot of work and heard that blackworms weren't as nutritious comparatively, but Jennifer has spoken!

Hi Genevieve, were you able to raise the axies entirely on daphnia/moina until they were old enough for pellets? I know people have raised many caudates on a diet of 100% blackworms, so that is why I tend to trust them, nutritionally speaking. Also, some people have difficulty culturing daphnia/moina, and it gets pretty expensive if you have to order them every week.

Genevieve and Jennifer: I read that daphnia/moina were nutritionally complete and that the cultures are not impossible, a little yeast and don't fine-bubble the water. I also read that daphnia were acutally different than moina, kind of like cousins. Are moina better? Or just tinier for the babies? this is the first I have heard of black worms, I have heard of trout worms for the adults. I have so much to learn. Keep up the great advice. I will keep learning upon your wisdom. Genevieve, I love your quote from Gandhi. I also have my turkey baster ready for battle! hehehe. thanks guys!
happy.gif

I ordered the moina and cultures, Genevieve and Jennifer. THANKS! The site is great. I also remember the black worms, my daughter uses them with moina and the brine shrimp for her babies until they were ready for trout worms. Where can I get them? One more question. I had a bowl of water outside, that I forgot; it grew green slime, is that good culture for moina? I stuck it in the cellar to grow more, in case it is good. If I see black mold or grey mold in the cultures for moina, is it bad? Thanks again. I named my 3 babies: Otis, Alexa, and Charlie, they will be very spoiled axolotls!

Your axies sound very lucky
happy.gif
For finding blackworms, I suggest getting out your local Yellow Pages and calling all the pet shops in town. Independent tropical fish shops (not Petsmart/Petco) are your best bet. If you really cannot find a local source, you can buy them by mail, but it's expensive and they take up a large space in your refrigerator.

have u considerd frozen blood worms. They are in little cubes and there are a far few to a cube. They are nutritious and are small so that they are able to swallow them easily. Hope ur babies grow big and stong. give us an update on how they are going. Eg. size, if they eat etc.
happy.gif

Luke, most babies won't eat anything that isn't moving, which is why chopped live blackworms are a better choice than frozen bloodworms.

If you can you could possibly get some live bloodworms, but they're pretty hard to come by. My neighbour is a biology teacher in a private school in Glasgow, so she gets me a few things to try them on
wink.gif

All 3 of my eggs hatched, and my babies are now 14 days old. They have been living on brine shrimp and moina. 2 days ago I started them on chopped black worms (from my local fish store). They are so cute and healthy. They are clear with brown tiny spots; who knows what color they will be. Mom is pink/white and dad is black. They are 3 cm. long already. Now, I want to start them on the pellets, where can I get these and what are they called? Thanks.
happy.gif
}

Jennifer- yes I have raised 3 generations on the moina/daphnia diet and have very healthy axies
happy.gif
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Once in a while they got chopped black worms as treats. I'm sorry I can't find the information anymore, but there were comparative live culture nutrition fact sheets that I studied and matched to advice on the board about axolotl diets and learned that blackworms aren't as great as selected other foods, but I'm sure they are still great as you have had experience with their success
happy.gif

Ooh, where can I order the pellets in the UK?
I'm having a job finding anything especially for axolotl.

My husband thinks I've gone over the edge with my babies. Thanks for the great advice, I have my black worm colony "farm" for feeding the babies and a trout worm "farm" for the larger ones I babysit occasionally, and pellets for the whole bunch. They are still clear with tiny brown spots. Still have only front legs and nubs for hind legs. What color will they be? when will the hind legs grow in? they are now 4 1/2 cm. long.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back