Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Air bricks yes or no

T

tracey

OK am totally confused on this one. am new Axie owner (only had him/her 2 days now)

Acquitic plans says Axolotls shouldn't have air bricks/bubble machines in tanks as they stress them out but some of the pictures i've seen in the gallery of tanks have them.

should the tank have them or not???

D

daniel

as long as they dont cause too much water movement then i cant see a problem with them... i have 1 and buried it under a pile of pebbles and it hardly disturbs the water at all now

A

amber

I sometimes pop a bubbler in, and I have it come on for a couple of minutes a day - gives them something to play with.

geoff

Reaction score
I have an air stone that gets played in daily all I have done is turned the air flow down so as not to disturb the water flow.

S

shaun

Whenever i'm using my pipette, my axies come over and snap at the bubbles as they come out- it's really funny, but not as good as an air stone.

D

daniel

Benny has a habit of sitting on the air stone when its on. its funny watching him trying not to float away.

G

genevieve

I have an air bed in my tank and the axolotls absolutely love it. It's a large (4 inch diameter), circular, flat airstone that my babies love to lie on top of for a great tummy massage when they aren't playing in the plants or napping on top of each other. Before the bed I always included air stones. They are great for oxygenating the water and unless you have a really small tank (or a really strong pump), they don't disrupt the water flow in the least- just in the column above it.

N

nya

2 of my 4 axies love the air bubbles, they are constantly swimming through it or sit with their bums in the bubbles. Also 1 of them spends loads of time sitting on top of a plant under the spray bar.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1