OK confused - can some1 put me straight please

T

tracey

OK am probably being thick, but am new to this Axolotls lark and am getting SOOOOOOOOOO confused. Have read various different things on this site regarding shrimps and am now totally confused. Are shrimps used as live food or as tank mates that also clear up uneaton food.

If they can live happily with Ugly what is the best type to get?

Both! :D
Sometimes an axie will catch a shrimp and eat it, but usually they're too slow and miss.

Glass, Grass, Amano and Cherry are four useful common names - these usually cover the Caridina, Neocaridina and Paleomontes species - all of which can cope with your tank and your 'lotl.

I keep shrimp in with Spyyk, and have found them invaluble help - the caridina multidenta (aka japonica) eat algae as well as left over food, so they're proved to be very helpful.
The majority are fast enough to get out of Spyyk's way too.

have found some Amano and Cherry so might get a few of each and see what happens - as long as they don't harm Ugly i'll give it a go

I've not seen it happen yet.
The only problems I've had so far are Spyyk eating the odd one (whoops) and a very LARGE paleomontes female (unsure of which kind) turning round and nipping her nose. No harm done, but it woke her up a bit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back