New owner with problems.............help!!!

H

helen

please help we have had millie(an axie)for 48hrs and after buying a new tank etc etc, we are having trouble keeping the water clear it has gone a lovely shade of yellowy/green, what's wrong have used water treatments as told, but nothing help???? also can i feed millie chicken, prawns and mince the guy we got millie from said it was ok. thankyou.

First I'd read
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_mexicanum.shtml

Sounds like you should fist cycle your tank and until then keep millie in a temperary home with %100 water changes everyday. Two rubbermade tubs both with conditioned water in the same room (I found right next to each other easiet) and switch millie everyday to the other and then change out the water in the used one, so there's no temp change and thus little stress. To cycle your tank read http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
Is a good place to check.
And as far as diet goes I've not heard of chicken. Mine are on live black worms and seem to be doing great.
Hope all works out
happy.gif

id get a filter, if you dont already have one. you should always have the tanks ready before you buy the axie, or anything.
with regards to food, i wouldnt.
id feed him/her on earthworbs, blackworms, live/frozen bloodworms, or trout/catfish pellets.however the latter can pollute your water, so id only use them after you have sorted out your water.
get a filter, change 50% of the waer before you add the filter, and switch off the lights, beacause this allows algae to really bloom, which might be a part of the greeny water

I agree, it sounds like an algae bloom in an uncycled tank.
Follow the plastic tub trick until the tank is cycled, and you'll be well away!

Mince usually has too much fat in it. If you use raw meat, make sure its lean and make sure you trim all fat and tendons of it. Meat shud be in wormlike strips; too fat/wide and/or long your axie may spit it out.

We feed ours mainly earthworms (they're cheap, backgarden and wormfarm) or ox/sheep heart/liver once in a while.

Ive always fed mine meat (including and often chicken) as i cannot get axolotl pellets anywhere and they wont eat worms and such. They have always been fine, but like stated make sure you trim off all the fat and extra bits or axie will be unable to digest it and get sick.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back