Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungal Infection - PLease Help

R

rebecca

We went past the pet shop the other day and they had 3 axies in 34 degree tank (fair enough it was very hot unexpectly but geez) one had already lost its gills and the other seem ok (i only had enough $$$ to save one)
Being new i didnt think i could save the sickest one so i went for the next worse, so i bought her(?) home cooled her down with the fan and ice bricks -
but she has from what i've read some sort of fungus eating at her gills and she is scratching them off - she seems to have settled now i have her tank at 22-23 degree (i know this isnt i deal but better than 33 right?)
i was gonna save n get a chiller b4 i got one but i we'll just have to manage with the ice
and how i was wondering if anyone could give me the name of a trusted fungal treatment - i know axolotyl.org has sum but im a bit confused as to what is best
she has seemed to stop scratching as she has gotten cooler and is hasnt spread yet so i wanna stop it in time
also she isnt eating (todays the 3rd day)
i got the pellets they said (like i shoulda trusted them) but she wont have a bar of em
i thought i pick up some bloodworms today
the water paramaters are all normal btw
thanks

K

karrie

You can do salt baths iam not shure how much salt thow. Mine wouldnt eat for a couple of weeks. I got him frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. He loves them. Hopes this helps

kapo

Reaction score
2-3 teaspoons of salt per litre or pint of water. 10min baths twice daily. Try a fan blowing over surface of water, that will bring temp down a degree or two.

E

edward

People should keep in mind that a lot of the damage has already been done to the animal, so the scratching may be due to the animal attempting to rid the gills of dead tissue and excess mucous. If this is not shed then it will make it a lot harder for the axolotl to respire as well as make it more susceptiable to fungal infections.

Ed

R

rebecca

Thank you guys very much!
I have been down and bought some stuff from the vet her and for the tank and some blood worm (she seems to have eaten a bit but not much...
i've also been to the hardware store and built a mesh lid so i can have the fan on her and not worry about anything getting in or out
Should i salt bath her if im treating her and the tank with the fungal treatment stuff or wait till that is over?
Thank again for all you help i truly appreciate it i could bare to see her like that so im doing all i can
cheers

R

rebecca

Just thought i'd give you guys an update on Sparkyles, she is much improved, no more fungus... though she will have to wait till her gill filament thingys grow back (she has one on each side that still have some)
going in on saturday to buy the disinfectant stuff for her tank when i'll be able to change her water which im sure she'll appreciate. (its all gold from the medicine the vet gave to us)
the salt baths have work wonders
and her temp is stable at 22 degrees
I just wanted to say how absolutely amazing you people are for giving up you're time to help other people with all there questions and concerns
And also the pet shop we got sparkyles from will no longer be selling axies -- i had a very long in depth conversation with there owner and threatned to call the rspca cause he let his staff mistreat them basically, i also printed out a copy of the information from axolotyl.org and gave to him highlighting what was wrong,
so anyways thanks and lets hope she stay ok
cheer and thanks again

C

cinnamon

Good for you!(Putting that pet shop in it's place) It's nice to hear that everything worked out so well for you and Sparkyles
happy.gif

R

rebecca

Just a quick update -- Sparkyles is in much better spirits now we cleaned her tank out on saturday night
she seems to like to look out of the tank now its not clowdy from the medication
my hubby and mum think her gills stumps are growing back but i cant see it but maybe its cause i see her so much
she seems to be eating now and her colour has improved she was kinda dull but its nice and bright and sparkley
ohh yeah that pet shop sucks! we went past there on saturday to see if they had disinfectant for the tank and they had no clue, and there was dead fish in one of there tanks!?!?!
so i went to the aquarium shop and talked to the awsome guys there and he said they've been trying to get them shut down for months so its not just me
later i'm gonna try and get some pics of her to post up cause shes pretty and i wanna show her off broken gills and all

kapo

Reaction score
That sounds great Rebecca! I also agree with Amber, good on you for telling petshop off!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1