How can I speed up cycling with axie in the tank?

S

sherri

Ok, so I have only ever done cycling with an empty tank, which I know how to do. But now I have an axie in an uncycled tank. I had to totally disinfect her tank cos of bacteria. That was 1,5 weeks ago, but the ammonia is too high. I started with changing 20% water daily, but in a few days ammonia went to 1,0 So I started on 40% daily water changes, and got ammonia to 0,5. Now am doing 30% water change in the morning and 30-40% in the evening, and yesterday did 50% in the morning, and 50% in the evening. Now the ammonia is about 0,2. Axie is shedding some skin. Worried. Am gonna continue with 50% in the morning and 50% in the evening, I quess?? Really don't understand how it is possible for ammonia to stay so high with these big water changes...
Is there anything I can do to speed up the cycling process? The temp in the tank is 17C. Is lower or higher better? Axie can go into fridge for a few days if need be.
Thanks in advance for your kind replies

You can't really speed up the cycling. We've cycled with and without axies in tank and they can take the same amount of time (We cycled 2 tanks with axies (all our temp bins were being used) and one took just 4.5 weeks the other 7 weeks; Without axies our other tanks took between 3.5weeks to 8 weeks.). Is this Axelina? Is there any food/stuff trapped within sand/substrate or near/beneath decos or maybe the too frequent waterchanges could be affecting it too (sorry just a guess). Not sure. We did 30% waterchanges every day with tanks with axies in it, our temps were about 18C. If it is Axelina and i know she's had a rough time from your posts; maybe cycle the tank without her in a separate container if cool enough outside of the fridge, otherwise in the fridge for a few days till the temps go down.

Kapo, many thanks for your kind advice. Yes, this is Axelina, my little darling. I have a very small cycled tank, which at the moment is a home to 5 ghost shrimps. I was thinking of taking the shrimps out, and putting Axelina into their tank. But then I decided against it, in case the shrimps may have had some bacteria which may be transferred to Axelina in the water?
I will do another 50% water change tonight, and if the ammonia still isn't 0, I will put Axelina in the fridge for a few days. Only thing is, she is still getting antibiotic injections for 3 more days, so I like to see her all the time, to make sure she is ok'ish.

Does anybody know if the cycling will be quicker in cold or hot water? If Axelina will be in the fridge, I can easily change the tank temp to anything..

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Sherri on Monday 30 October 2006 - 20:45 (#POST110007):</font>

if the cycling will be quicker in cold or hot water? If Axelina will be in the fridge, I can easily change the tank temp to anything..<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Don't know (god so much for being helpful!) but try it; maybe in the mid 20s or higher and if it works yu can post results!

I don't think temp affects cycling speed. Ammonia of 0.2 ppm should be tolerable, if you can keep it that low. If you keep Axelina in the tank, reduce feeding and keep all debris cleaned up really well. Fridging her would be OK too.

Thanks Jennifer!! I put Axelina in the fridge yesterday morning, while I upped the ammonia in the tank to 3, so hoping that will help with cycling, as I don't need to do water-changes before I get the ammonia to 0. Needless to say, Axelina will stay in the fridge in the meanwhile.

Hmmm. I dunno why am not getting any nitrites yet...Been cycling for a few weeks, of which the last 5 days Axelina has been in the fridge, so I have upped the ammonia to 3. But nothing is happening...not a trace of nitrite...??? Any advice??

Adding some live plants, or substrate from an established tank, would speed things up. Other than that, you just have to wait.

Thanks Jennifer. Will go and get some plants tomorrow...
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back