Axolotl's and ponds

L

lana

HI,
I always go with my mum to markets that have axolotls and i think they are treated really badly the keep them in lids with a little bit of water in them and the axies dont look very happy.
I wanted to get 1 (to give it a better home) but i thought against it because in case they have diseases i wouldnt want to mix it with mine.

Out the back yard we have a pretty big pond that it is used for nothing (we used to have turtles) I was wondering if i put a really small water proof heater in it- just big enough to keep the water nice coz it is outside) would i be able to put a couple axolotls in there? i would cover the top with chicken wire because of birds and yeh.

I read on axolotl.org that you can keep them in ponds.

It sounds like it would be a nice home for them
happy.gif
But I'm new to the world of axies so I'd get other opinions.

My parents have a large fish pond. The filter system intake sits in the bottom. Every so often they lose a fish because it get stuck on the intake. So if it has a filter system might want to think about that. Just a thought. Hope this helps some how.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back