Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

About golden axolotl

A

annmarie

is it possible to have a golden axolotl with black eyes, rather than the pink eyes? I really have not studdied up on the genetic variants of the species. I also think a golden axolotl with black eyes would be cute.

D

denise

i was in the petshop the other week and it had a golden axie but he was a wild type not albino so i think its very possible

J

joan

You can have light colored wildtypes, which will often appear tan or gold, that will have black eyes. However, this isn't really a genetic line, and it's kind of a toss of the dice whether you get one. All golden albinos will have the red eyes.

R

rebeccah

I have a Golden with Silver flecks that has gold eyes. As soon as I figure out how, I'll post pics.

kapo

Reaction score
Rebecca use the upload attachment button next to the post message button at the bottom.

A

ang

There are goldies for sale here with gold eyes, I have seen them advertised.

kapo

Reaction score
Ang the gold albinos actually have red or pinkish eyes, but when you photo them the flash reacts with redeyes, much like you get redeye in photos of people

(Message edited by kapo on October 29, 2006)

A

ang

That's interesting, as one of the traders commented in their auction that their eyes are gold! (On trademe) I am planning on getting one in a month or two, so will let you know... Lol
smile.gif

A

annmarie

I wonder if a strain from the light wild type with a lot in the golden layer can be produced eventually. Hmmm time for me to invest in that giant axolotl genetics book...

R

rebecca

what if a golden albino and a light coloured wild type had babies - could it be possible then to have similar colouring to a golden albino with the dark eyes? (i failed science so it was a wild guess)

J

jonathan

"Leucisim, also caused by an autosomal recessive gene mutation, is an inherited defect affecting all chromatophores. Leucistic animals lack functional melanophores and xanthophores, and possess minimal iridophores. Leucistic invididuals are solid white, with no pattern, except for the eyes, which are dark blue or black. Leucism is also common in selectively bred axolotls, and these animals are easily distinguished by albinos by their solid white skin and dark eyes."
from http://www.livingunderworld.org/biology/caudata.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1