Axie BooBoo

C

cinnamon

So I recently became the proud owner of four 5month old axies and everything has been going very well. They've been eating well and seem happy. I have them in a bare 10 gallon tank as my 20 is cyceling. I've been changing the water daily. Today I've noticed that one had a little red on his right hand. Now tonight, after the water change and feeding. I went back to see that everyone was doing well and one doesn't have his whole arm! It's not even that red but it was definatly there a couple hours ago. And the one with the red fingers looks just the same. Should I put the wounded ones in the fridge in seprate containers. Salt baths to avoid infections. Will his arm grow back?
Please help!

Alright. So I've moved the one that lost it's arm into my large cassrole dish and put it in the fridge. I put another in there too so that I can switch him back and fourth without temp change. The one with the hurt hand actually doesn't seem so hurt, just like a little red on a couple fingers. Is this an often thing that they would chomp each other. Do they even have teeth. Because there's NOTHING in the tank for them to have done this on. Is that why their fighting. I'd love to have them in the bigger tank where there are hiding places but it's not cycled yet... Should I do salt baths for my one armed man?
I haven't really desided names as I want to get to know them.

They are at the canniblism stage. THe arm will grow back. The cannibilsm stage doesn't last long. Your axies arm should grow back within 3 to 5 weeks hopefully

Canniblism Stage? This is new to me. Should I seperate all of them?

They may have been hungry and bit the "moving food" which just happened to be the other axie. It happens, we have a grumpy 3yr old female that when she gets sat on (they love to stack in the one corner in cram in the same cave) she takes a munch (most times she misses). They do have teeth of sorts, but its the sort that can grip a worm and hold it. If u've ever felt one of them bite/nibble you it feels a bit like a baby when it gums you (if you know what i mean, but doesn't hurt us)

Don't worry. Fortunately axolotl have incredible powers of regeneration.

Spyyk managed to swat herself on my syphon this evening, and cut her nose.
It stopped bleeding almost instantly, and will no doubt be healed this time next week.
She did the same thing on a chipped glass pebble, split her lip.
I removed it as soon as I realised, and she was fine the week after.

Actually it looks a bit longer already. Been in the frigd and I've changed that water twice a day, as it just a bowl of water. And the skin is not red at all anymore. So I think he's doing fine.
Though the one with the booboo hand got both hands taken by someone wheil I was at work. They eat every day. I put a blob os live black worms in each corner so that everyone can get some. I put this one in the fridge too. The other two are still in the ten tank and neither one looks hurt at all and I hope they stay that way. I think maybe they are the culperates but who knows. It's so odd because I watch them most of the day and have never seen any aggresive behavior. It's like their all "Oh! She's a work for 4 whole hours! What trouble can we get into!?"

Axolotl parenthood, isn't it great
biggrin.gif

I found my Beatha with a small gap in her top tail part and suspect Uisce to be the culprit...and their water is fine and they get enough food and they get along great, and..and...and...
yin-yang.gif

Oh lives wonderful mysteries
alien.gif

Silver

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back