Water depth need advice

A

alex

im in the process of cycling my 48*18*15 inch tank and have filled it nearly to the top is that ok was just reading care sheets on other sites that said water depth should be as high as the axie is long,is that i minimum or do axies prefer it that way,should i take some water out

I have mine filled to the top and he likes to swim up and down. More water easer to maintain. Live plants also help with this.

mine is also filled allmost to the top (45 cm out of 50)and most of my axies love to floate and frolick in the top layer.
(have you ever seen a slowmo sommersault)
bowl.gif

and they love to play in the plants

My tank is filled to the top. My axie also swims to the top. Then he stops and slowly floats back to the ground. Alex do you have a spray bar. I have found that if the spray bar is under water the water temperature is usually the same but if the spray bar is above the water it tends to heat up a fair bit. Thats just me though. It could be different to you
talker.gif

I don't fill my tank to the top just because startled axolotls can jump, and if you don't have a lid on your tank (I don't), having that extra few centimeters helps to keep them inside instead of outside if they get startled.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back