Red cherrys and Axolotl

C

cecilia

Hi all I am new here. My question is may i have red cherry shrimps in my tank whit my 2 Axolotls or will the Axies eat the cherrys. I have had my Axolotls for a week now they eating very well and seems to be happy. I have been falling in love in Axolotl. Wonderful animals

Some axies will eat them, but others will leave them. If you keep your axies well fed, it will lower the chance of them eating them.

Lol, as I said earlier, I keep Paleomontes shrimp (Glass shrimp) in with mine.

I've had 15 up to now, and 2 have survived...

So i just keep them seperated if i want my red cherry to be alive and i like that.Thanks for the answers.

Cecilia

I keep Glass shrimp with my axolols and newts. Axolol leaves them alone, unless they go very very close to their mouths but they dont catch them. Infact, my shrimp are breeding and the fry are surviving in a tank with a large 3 year old axolotl. If there is enough room and hiding places for shrimp that axolotls cannot fit in, your shrimp will be fine.

I put home bred feeder fish (red barbs) in with my Axies and Oscar months ago obviously as "dinner". Well.... 5 went in with cut tails, there are now about 7 in there, and THEY ate their fry! The Axies can't be bothered with them, and they do a great job of cleaning up any waste food! I found that ANY thing that moves too fast is too much hassle for my Axies! So your shrimp should be fine if he has somewhere to hide as others have said.

I also put some glass shrimp into my Axie's tank, the shrimp are a little innocent at the begining and some of them have been eaten by my Axie, but then they get smarter and always get away from her.
The only problem I found is that my Axie being a little too busy to chasing them all the time, and I seldom see her taking rest as much as before, I'm afraid it will be too tired for her, or the shrimp bothering her.

*laughs* Morrissey - that's exactly what I mean - Potted and Scampi are the two survivors because they're SMART!

Spyyk adores chasing them, it stops her being lazy.
Let's face it, if they were really annoying her that much, she'd eat them - she managed to scarf the others...

Ive contemplated putting other things that are a bit more "economic" into the tank, like those black sucker fish things that eat moss or something to eat excess food, but what would be a decent fish for this?

If you can find a good deal from a local red cherry breeder, check it out. In the long run the like 30 bucks for a dozen can be worth it if they manage to breed. Anyways, besides having the glass shrimp, with another axie I have the red cherries, so casualties so far. They are much faster than the glass shrimp, like little water bees and they keep my tank very clean. The think is i found out, the ghost/glass shrimp will eat left overfood such as pellets and worms, but I have not witnessed the cherries doing such clean up seeming they are significantly smaller.

I'd be careful with some of those suckerfish/catfish, some have spines that will not feel good in an axolotl that swallows it. Hopefully someone with more experience in that field will reply to you soon.

Hillstream loaches are also not good 'lotl food - some of those also have spines.

Please do not put in a sucker fish, for two reasons. One, they need warmer temperature than axies. Two, they have been known to suck on amphibian skin. I can find you some links to document this, if you don't believe it.

*quick note*
Sorry to contradict - however, Hillstream loaches prefer cold water, as they are mountain stream fish.

However, you are correct on a huge variety of other "sucker fish" - and indeed, many are known to chew on 'lotl skin.

If you'd like a copy of a profile of hillstream loaches, let me know - I wrote (so I have been told) one of the most concise and informative Hillstream Loach Profile pages available on the net, at www.allfishforums.com.

Ok, saying all that, whats the most cost effective BUT most permanent way of putting other cleaning fish in there, i have never heard of these red cherry things LOL

snip "BUT most permanent way of putting other cleaning fish in there"endsnip

Despite a lot of marketing, "cleaning fish" do not really clean. At best they scavenge the uneaten food items which if you stop to think about it doesn't solve the problem of the food breaking down in the tank. Decomposition of food causes ammonia to rise, fish excrete ammonia all the timew which also increases the ammonia in the tank. With the addition of the fish, all you have done is change the route of ammonia production slightly while increasing the bioload on the tank.
The best "cleaning fish" are routine water changes with a siphon to remove the uneaten food items.

Ed

Yep, you gotta clean the tank yourself, there is no fish that will do the work
cry.gif

Amber, thanks for the info on the hillstream loach.
smile7.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back