Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axie- Please help.

J

jess

I just got my axie yesturday from the petshop where i did my work experience. a friend ended up bringing it in as she couldnt care for it anymore.

Problem 1- how do i get it to eat? i tried droping in a meal worm and it just ignored it.

Problem 2- i have fish in the same tank. will they bother my new axie?

Problem 3- he just seems to be hiding near my filter. (ive yet to put in tunnels and what not for my fish and axie to hide in, im new to the aquariam thing).

71478.jpg

J

jess

also.

do i just need a filter in the tank or is there other things that should be in there to keep the water good?

A

anna

Answer one: It prolly wont eat for a week or so due to the stress of moving.

Answer Two: Fish will most likely bother the axie and try to eat its gills. Either that, or the axie will eat the fish, best to keep them separate.

Answer Three: He wont be very active at all but even less so during this stressful adjustment period.

Answer Four: Using dechlorinator is a definate must.

Additional: Have u cycled your tank? If not read:-
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
Also a good idea to read:- www.axolotl.org

The pebbles arent a good idea as your axie will most likely ingest some which could cause a blockage and make him refuse food. It will also make him sick. Good ideas for substrate are: nothing, sand (pool sand or playsand are good as well as Tuscan Paths sand from Bunnings), pieces of slate, very large pebbles (like the river ones).

Do u know what your levels are for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and less importantly, pH? Do you have test kits for these things? If not, get kits as these levels are very important to good water and axie health.

Basic axie needs are:- Good water, a hiding hole, good food, non-harmful substrate (or no substrate), a temp under 20 degrees C, and a filter that does not create a strong current.

Hope all this helps and feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. This site is friendly and really helpful!
love.gif

M

morrissey

¢ði!
It's better to keep the tank fishless, since fish may eat axie's gills, and it's very dangerous for them.
Axie loves to hide anyway, so it's better to have a cave for them!
happy.gif

I'm also new for this, but these are the simple things I know, I'm sure someone much better than me will answer your questions soon!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1