Water Parameters?

andrew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Andy Baker
Ok, I've just tested the water Parameters with Glacier in the aqarium, with liquid tests, and came up with this:

PH = 6.4

Ammonia = 0.50

Nitrite = 0 mg/L

Nitrate = 5.0

Dunno if this is good or bad. >_<; I'm... slightly nervous, as he seems to be spending lots of time floating. Now, he swims too, but does so just under the surface. Only during feeding time does he swim to the bottom and stay there to eat. Aside from this, he acts perfectly normal. Is floating and swimming at high levels normal for a baby axie about 2.5 inches long?

Please Advise; thanks in advance.

Not too bad.

How much are you feeding? How often is it pooping?

I've been feeding it daily; alternating between shrimp pellets and bloodworms. For example, one day I'll feed him bloodworms, the next the pellets... then bloodworms, then pellets again, etc...

As far as poop, I've not actually seen any recently. The last time I cleaned some up was... oh, I think a few days ago. But then, I actually skipped feeding one or two days because he was looking rather plump and I figured he didn't need food desperately at the moment.
happy.gif

Anyway, his floating has been reduced. He's spending more and more time on the bottom, though he still swims shallowly and floats on occasion.

I'll continue to keep up with his behaviour and the water stats. Thanks so much.

Is he floating because he can't actually submerge, or is he just floating at the surface on his own free will? Mine will float around in what I call 'hang time'. They'll just stay at the surface because they want to, but then can stay on the bottom as well.

If he can't submerge, then that's a different problem. Youngins also spend more time swimming than adults. How deep is your water?

The problem with both pellets and bloodworms is that bits of it go all over the tank and require diligent clean-up. Having any ammonia detectable is a sign that you need to reduce the amount of nutrients in the tank. Until the tank has been running for at least a month, I would recommend cleaning out the tank (and at the same time doing a partial water change) after every single feeding. You can help save your sanity by feeding him only every-other or every-third day. He'll eat more at each feeding if fed less often.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back