Gender confused!

T

teesha

i have had a golden albino for about 3 months, it has grown around 3 cm, and is now 20cm. She had black toes when i got her, but they'd fade and appear. there she is...BIV:
66288.jpg

now her toes hav been black permanently. She is a little more fatter than the pic. there is no cloaca swelling. Is it a female???
i dont no how old she is, i got it from the pet shop. How do u tell....is it to do with length of tail? head shape? or just the swelling?
the one below is a good shot of her cloaca
66289.jpg

this one below u can see her toes are black, the lightings bad-sorry
66290.jpg

the photos must be less than 3 months old, and she hasnt changed too much since then...she's pretty fat atm coz i fed her alot days ago...she's due for another feeding today. ( i feed pellets, freshly moulted white meal worms and earth worms).
thanx in advance

id say shes a female. the cloaca is not even the slightest bit swollen like a males would be. and her body is fairly round even if you did fed her alot days ago. i think males have longer heads that females..

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Lorie Hollies on Sunday 11 June 2006 - 12:59 (#POST98130):</font>

Very young but can you tell if this is a boy or a girl (it likes to climb ^___^)<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Lorie, yours is still a baby, still too young to tell whether it is male or female.

id say it could go either way, at 20cm some of them are still 'undecided' lol. its still pretty thin for a female and has no cloaca, so id say it should start to tell you in a few months.

Aww ok
happy.gif
She's really cute and always seems to climb.
If i put a lily pad for her do you think she would climb onto it?

if its under the water she might sit on it but shes not going to climb out of the water (axies are completly aquatic unless they morph which is very rare)
happy.gif

i thought she was a female but heaps of ppl from this site has told me the opposite. I guess ill hav to play the waiting game.....:>

here u guys, this pic is about a month later than those pics.....what do u recon from the BIV?
67378.jpg

Terribly naive of me I know ........ but what is the cloaca ???

I don't know what gender my Axie is , it's got a boys name though so I hope it's a boy !!

The cloaca is the mutual opening of the reproductive and digestive tracts. The 'lump' between the back legs. A larger lump is usually indicative of a male, while females have small or no lumps.

oh and her black toes just mean that she is sexually mature, nothing to worry about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back