Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi i'm new, looking for answers

R

rebecca

Hey guys,
I got my new axie just today and i love him to pieces, but he's still really stressed from the move.All he's doing is lying in the corner and not moving. will he start to relax and move around more with time? is it ok to handle him and does he mind being taken out of the water much?
I'm also just a bit worried about the filter i have, it's just a cheap bubbly one that came with the tank and it's quite noisy but he doesn't seem to mind too much, when i first put him in he hid under it. Can i turn it off overnight? All I have in the tank is a couple of plastic plants and a tunnel for him and the filter/bubbly thing - HETO Air Pump Aquarium sk9102 is that ok? I'm feeling a little lost and i want my axie to be happy.

J

jason

Hello and welcome to the site im sure you will find out everything you will need to know about axies here. Do not handle your axie unless you really have to, taking him out the water i would not take him out of the water unless i was going to move them to a different container. Im not really to good with the filters i had to find out on the site im sure someone will answer that for you tho. I never turn my filter off i dont think its a good idea. My two axies just chill about they move around the tank at night but one of them is always on the move
happy.gif
. Did you cycle your tank ?

R

rebecca

I only just got the tank today, but i washed the pebbles, filled it with tap water and added a water ager and bioclear to clean the water. Are pebbles really bad? And what does everyone mean by cycling? that's just putting fresh water in every so often right?
will he start moving round more soon? he seems depressed but i'm still getting to know him

kapo

Reaction score
You don't need to use bioclear. Just add the waterager to tapwater and let it rest to come to room temp (couple of hours or overnight) before doing your waterchange.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Rebecca Fleming on Monday 04 September 2006 - 16:02 (#POST105238):</font>

And what does everyone mean by cycling? that's just putting fresh water in every so often right? <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

No, that's just doing waterchanges. Have a read of the following article (http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml) and any questions just ask.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Rebecca Fleming on Monday 04 September 2006 - 16:02 (#POST105238):</font>

Are pebbles really bad?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Yes they can be, axies swallow things when they snuffle round looking for food and can cause a blockage and other serious problems (they don't necessarily spit them out and can block them for many months b4 being pooed out). If you have already added your pebbles, it is easy enuf to get them out without disturbing your axie. A better alternative would be no substrate, sand or large pieces of slate/stone.

will he start moving round more soon?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

May be just settling in but you also have to be aware that axies don't generally move much and tend to be more active while feeding, and at night, or are more active (as they can be) when younger.

As for your filter as long as there is not too much water flow it shud be ok, but just keep an eye on it.

Do you have water test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? You can pick these up from the petshop or maybe cheaper online (ebay or online aquarium store). These will be needed to test your tankwater while it is cycling. If you can't afford them at the mom, then you will need to take a tankwater sample to your petshop and get them to test for the 3 mentioned above. Get them to write the no.s down and post it here if ur unsure.

If you don't have a turkey baster invest in one it is great for spotcleaning waste, uneaten/regurgitated food (after 15/20 mins).

Also, get a thermometer if you don't have one.

Welcome to the site, by the way, there are plenty of people here to help out if ur unsure or concerned about your new axie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1