Injured Axolotl

Z

zack

Well I recently purchased a axolotl and now I think I may have a problem on my hands the guy at the pet store suggested a few fish that could live comfortably with the axie such as the following

Guppies
Cory Cat
Plecotomas
Kuhli Loach
Chinese algea eater

Well when I woke up today I had an axie with a foot and a leg less than it did the day before. I removed the guppies because they were the most likley culprit but I wanted your guys opinion if I should remove them all or not. I also have a hang on the back filter in the tank which is set to the lowest possible cuold he have gotten stuck in that? He doesn't seem to go near it. I am keeping the temp nice and low as apperently this helps heal but any help is appreciated.

pleco's are quite peaceful although they can grow big (very big), they are also quite spiny so can cause harm if attacked or eaten. cats aren't recomended as they are also spiny and cause injury when eaten,
the algea eater i've not had experience with but are mean't to be quite placid.
guppies are generally used as feeder fish and don't normally cause damage on scale you have described unless the animal is quite small.
the fish i wouldn't use is a loach as these have a tendency to become quite bad tempered and will attack other fish and animals.
how big is the axie and how big are the fish kept with it.

The axie is quite small around 3" in length tops the fish with him are all atleast half his size mostly a little biggeer then his face since I figure that would stop him from chewing on them for at least a little while. the Loach is the smallest fish in there I was a little worried about him eating it at first.

Unfortunatly I awoke today to find him upside down in the tank. Looks like the attack was just too much for this young axie. I haven't given up though and I'm a little wiser next time nothing will go in the tank with him. It sucks I had to learn the hardway and it especilally sucks for the axolotl.

We do better when we know better Zack. All the best with your future plans and I'm sorry for your loss.

EEEEEEEEEEEEE dont put fish with axies ignore what he saus! Bad bad bad idea!!! Stesses axie out and you'll get eatten fish NOnoNO + thetemp for those fish it TOTALLY the wrong temp for an axie. 16 degrees is what the water should be about.

If you search the archives you will see that pretty much all of those fish are not recommended for keeping with axolotls.
Plecos have been reported sucking on the side of the axololt removing the slime coat and stressing the axolotl out. These should also be kept as a tropical fish.
Cory cats have been reported becoming lodged in the mouth of the axolotl and unable to be removed without surgical intervention due to the fin spines. These are also a tropical fish.
Kuhli loaches are at immediate risk of being consumed and while a relatively docile fish (unlike some of the Botias referenced above) also have an erectable spine under and in front of each eye that is used for defense. These are also tropical.
Chinese algae eaters can be somewhat docile when young but also suck the slime off the axolotl ala plecos.

Ed

Indeed, none of those fish should be recommended as tankmates for axies. But I doubt that the guppies attacked the axolotl and could not have caused the damage to its foot/leg. More likely, it had a bad case of limb rot, probably due to poor care before you got it. Sorry
sad.gif

Unfortunately, most pet shops dont know very much at all about axies. I am currently coaching the lady at the pet shop near me on some key points. Im just looking up the salt solution for salt baths as 2 of her stock have a fungus. Im pretty sure ne way. It looks fuzzy on the gills.
My advice would be to research as much as possible. Write the key points down if u have to. Then, when u have a pretty good idea, get your animal. Good luck. Have you read www.axolotl.org yet? Its a good place to start, combined with this forum of course.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back