Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

AXI FRIENDS

M

mark

<font color="0000ff"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font> Hi, i always hear that juvniel</font>} axis cant be kept together because they will bite at each others gills and limbs. I was just wondering if it would be okay if you raised them together if they would still bite at each other? I am about to get my 1st axi so i am trying to learn about them and i cant quite find anything about the subject please help.}}}}}}

L

lexie

Hi Mark, I keep 2 juvie axolotls together in a tank quite happily. One is just slightly bigger than the other, but they get along really well! Never ever seen them nip eachother, and I watch them all the time. I think they key is to keep them in a big enough tank (I think 2 foot is the bare minimum for 2 juvie axies, but when they grow probably look at upgrading) and feed them regularly so that they're not tempted to eat eachother rather than their food! The other key thing is to make sure each axie has its own hiding spot that makes it feel safe and hidden from the other axie.

So, make sure you have a) a big tank, b) hiding places, and c) regular feeding patterns.

Hope this helps, good luck with your axies!

K

karen

Our 2 have only accidently bittten NEAR one another when food is around ... thin they could have been related - not sure if that makes a difference or not ??

A

alex

my axies are always accidently snapping at each other around feeding time. they must think each other is food. they have bad eye site which doesnt help. what i do is gently move them away from each other so one is at one end of the tank and the other is at the other end of the tank, then feed them.

M

madison

It helps prevent them biting if you have a lot of plastic plants or plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1