White Clouds?

K

kat

I was reading through the archives and found a post about the white cloud minnows which some had added to their axie tank...taking the risk of the little guys eventually getting eaten up...
I looked up the fish at Wikipedia and it's conservation level is listed critical..
is it cruel to put them in the tank anyways, or are they bred by the thous is captivity specifically for pet stores?

I had no idea white cloud minnows (WCM) were in critical condition in the wild. Then again, so are axolotls!

WCM breed very easily in captivity and are incredibly hardy. They tolerate both cold and heat, and can be raised in ponds. I'm sure the ones in pet shops must be captive bred.

At this time it is believed that white clouds may be extinct in the wild.

Ed

I took my white clouds out of my axolotl tank several months ago and put them in with my Pachyhonobius shangchengensis. My guess was these nasty salamanders might be less aggressive with some tank mates as dither fish. The salamanders don't bother with the white clouds. All are doing great. Generally it might not be a good idea to mix fish with salamanders. Sometimes it is interesting to stretch rules.

I had one white cloud that seemed right at home in a tank with my taricha, and at that time there wasn't even that much water in it. I did eventually take him out. Hey Ed, is there an article that talks about the recent extinction?

I had a school of about 10 white clouds in my axie tank at first. I never had any issues with them, until the axies got too big and decided to have some lunch.

It really does add some colour and movement to the tank when your axies are in the "I'm just gonna sit riiiight here. Alllll day." stage. hehe

I'm not sure about an article about white clouds extinction jeff, but you should google it. i'd be quite interested.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back