Adding Rock and such After Water?

K

kat

I spent the day cleaning out the new 30 gallon tank I got and setting up the filter (as well as cleaning my other fish tanks). I opted to leave the tank bottom bare (heard it was easier to clean) and filled the tank with water and aquasafe to start cycling it in prep for the new Axi's...I was so excited to get everything ready, I didn't think to put the rocks and such in before filling the tank...is it safe to add those things in after, or is too much shifting around in the water with my hands going to contaminate or slow down the cycling process? Also, how long is sufficient for soaking things like rocks and wood, and what do I soak them in?

Thanks all!

It's quite OK to add them after the water is already in there. For new rocks (ones I haven't used previously), I boil them before use, then put them in right away. For wood, it really depends on the type of wood. Soak it in water for at least a week (not in the tank!) and see if it turns the water yellow. Be sure it's the right kind of wood for an aquarium.

Since you already have other tanks, you can greatly speed up the cycling process by using rocks, filter pads, etc, taken from the established tanks.

I heard that you can put stuff from other tanks in to speed the process, but I'm worried about transfering diseases (my fish display no sign of disease) or other types of bacteria that would be harmful to the tank...is it possible?

If the fish tank is healthy, and has been healthy for the past few months, I really wouldn't worry about transferring diseases. A lot of diseases are caused by bacteria/fungi that are "omnipresent" - they are everywhere to begin with, they just attack or proliferate if an animal is stressed from other causes. Starting with a clean tank won't prevent getting them. For parasitic kinds of diseases (ick, etc.) this is not exactly true - you can prevent them by not having them around.

When you cycle a tank "from scratch" (without any transfer from an older tank), where do the bacteria come from? They come from the air, from our hands, from dust, etc. The bacteria that you get this way are no "better" than the ones you would get from your fish tank - in fact, they are probably the same ones, it just takes them longer to get established in sufficient numbers.

Thanks, you're truely helpful. Let me get this straight though...
Right now I have the tank set up all nicely after it was washed, it's filled about 7 inches, the filter is running, and the proper amount of aquasafe has been added...

What would be the next appropriate step, and would it be okay cycling out if I left it as is, without adding anything from other tanks, just getting bacteria from the air and dust like mentioned?

I would put in more water. Put in as much as possible. This acts as a buffer to water quality changes.

The next step would be to add a.) your established filter, or b.) a new filter (this gives somewhere for the bacteria to grow). If you don't add an old filter, expect to have a cycled tank in 30-60 days. I would add waste from your fish to give the cycle a little kick-start, if you're not going to use things from their tank.

You need test kits for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates to monitor cycling.

Okay, I started a new filter running (it's actually a filter from another tank, that I just cleaned and changed) when I put the tank together. I have about 3 inches of extra space at the top for water. I just got proper measurements for the tank and it's about 13 inches high, so I have a good 9-10 inches of water in the tank. I read somewhere that they like between 6 and 10 inches..is this true? And if so, should I still add as much water as possible?

And will it be okay to just add a small amount of water from another tank, what amount would be most appropriate?

Also, where is a good website to find master test kits?

Thanks sooo much to everyone, I really appreciate, I just want to make a happy and safe home for the little critters!

What type of filter is it? If it's an 'overhang' type, you should raise the water to the outlet, to minimize movement. It also may be beneficial to build a baffle of some sort. Axolotls get stressed out with water current. 9-10 inches is a good level.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back