Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Scared too

L

lorie

I'm scare to put my axie in the fridge :S Are you people sure it's safe?

L

luke

LOL "You people". I'm sure it's safe. Wait for others to reply.

J

joan

Yes, it's safe. As long as your fridge is above 5C, there's no harm in using the fridge as a treatment option.

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
I put my darling Axelina in the fridge today, cos I was unable to keep her tank under 24C while waiting for a replacement cooler. She has never been in the fridge before, so it was scary putting her there.She looked so helpless in a little ice-creak container, and I worry that she gets enough oxygen. I made a few tiny holes in the lid.Her new cooler should arrive in the next few days.
So thank you, this thread has made me feel a bit better,too

L

lorie

eeEEEeeeee scary!!! Ok i'll try it. HAHAHA i hope i've got room in the fridge for her. I wont have to feed her will i?

S

sharn

offer her food every day before the water change (it has to be done every day and change 100% of the water). if she eats thats ok but because shes colder she wont want to eat as much. make sure you keep another container of dechlorinated water in the fridge also so you dont give her temp shock when you stick her into the new water
happy.gif

this is the way i do it (when i first put it in the fridge)-
*fill a container with tank water
*put the axie in
*get another container of equal size and fill it with fresh tap water and add dechlorinator
*put them both in the fridge
*when it comes to my water change the next day i offer food, if it takes it ok (leave five mins if it takes food), if not net it and pop it into the new container
*rinse and fill old container with fresh tap water, dechlorinate and repeat

hope that helps!

P

phoebe

Do you have to do this with smooth newts too?? And i am no way wanting my newt to go in a fridge!!

J

joan

You don't put your caudates into the fridge unless there is something wrong, Phoebe. The fridge is used as a treatment for illness.

Sharn says to offer food daily, but I disagree. Most won't eat while in the fridge, and if they do and the water temp is too cold, the food won't be digested.

C

clinton

Good question. I don't think it really matters speaking from personal experience, my fridge has greatly fastened recovery times when my axies have been poorly - much to my mothers dismay mind you ;)

J

jennifer

Even if a fridge is air-tight, there is enough air in there for an axolotl for several days (maybe weeks). Amphibians, being cold blooded, don't use nearly as much oxygen as a mammal would.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!