Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Live plants?!

D

dionne

what are the best live plants to put in my axolotls tank? are there any that i should avoid? also how long does it take for their gills to grow back as i bought 2 juveniles from a pet shop 2 weeks ago and they had been chewing on each other they look pretty sorry for themselves at the moment but they haven't bitten each other since i have had them!

C

clay

Ok plants personaly i dont have alot of experiens inplants but pick some thing that is very hardy looking like a grass if u dont have lights as for the gills i would say it depends on ur axies

S

sharn

if you dont have alot of lighting plants like java fern/moss, anubias, assorted crypts are all good choices. the anubias and java fern/moss dont get planted but can be tied onto decorations where they will take hold on

axies are good at growing lots of their body parts back but theyre not overly quick at it lol. they should show small improvements by now but as long as theyre not suffering it shouldnt be a problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1