Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does an axies need a companion

J

jason

Hello i am a newbie to keeping axies and i might be able to get my first one soon
biggrin.gif
I have a 36"x15"x12"(80l/27g) tank and well i just dont know where to get two or not. As i said i am new to keeping them and dont know if i should start of with having just one, just to get a little experience. Do they need companions ? What would you suggest.

J

joan

A 36 inch tank is long enough for 3 adult axolotls, but two would be more comfortable. A bigger tank also allows you to create more hiding places, as well as have a larger water quality buffer.

They don't 'need' companionship, as they are solitary by nature, but keeping two in one tank is fine. Have you read www.axolotl.org yet?

J

jason

Yes i have. It was something i just really wanted to know what people would have done, like if you were faced with the option. but thanks for the info

C

clay

jason i think having a mate for it is a very good idea i have 2 in my tank and they love playing it is very amusing to see them scare each other then go darting round the tank

J

joan

Jason, most people here have multiple axolotls in a tank. I have 5 myself.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1