Getting my first axolotl

J

jason

Hello everyone i have just found this site while doing some reading about keeping an axolotl. I have just bought a tank that is 36"x15"x12".

I will only be keeping 1 in this tank and maybe in the future i will get another.
Basically i am a bit confused about the pump/filtration for a tank of this size and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out.Thanks jay.

axies dont really like alot of water movement as im sure youve read.

its not so much the lph that is the problem its how the filter puts it out ie a filter with a spray bar can do alot of lph but because of the bar you can face it back to the glass to diffuse the spray compared to just the outlet making whirlpools.

im really bad with inches and gallons, how many gal/litres is your tank?

its up to you which filtration you decide to go with, sump (probably not worth it), canister (highly reccomended), HOB (hang on the back) or internal (another good choice).

sumps are more for larger tanks IMO, they can be tricky to set up and costly if you buy one.

canisters are really really good, they hold a good amount of media, dont have anything other than inlet/outlets in the tank and are very quiet. also many come with spray bars which are handy for the above reasons.

HOB's are good as they provide good airation if let to have the 'waterfall' effect but can cause a fair amount of current.

internals are good, hold less media though, you can make spray bars for them if they do a high turnover but can become a bit noisy (brands like fluval and eheim probably dont though)

(Message edited by sharn on May 31, 2006)

Well the tank is about 80 liters. i was going to get an internal filter like the ones that just sit inside the tank and then just like an air pump with two outputs for air stones. so if i have a filter in the tank would i have to worry about an undergravel filter aswell?

If u have an internal, no need for an undergravel filter. BTW how big is the gravel u intend using? Gravel is very easily swallowed by axies even when handfed. (up to 2cm gravel can be swallowed, depending on size of your axie, and can cause problems). Other substrate ideas wud be sand, bare tank floor, river rocks or large pieces of flat slate. Have a look in the photo gallery area which may give u ideas.

Thank for the info i have change my mind and i will be using sand as my substrate and a fluval 2 internal filter. Now all i have to do is find a quiet air pump, any ideas ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back