Mii El Fonzo; Hasn't Eaten for 7 days, Yet Active.

B

brooke

Hello!

Okii Dokii,

Ive bought my very first Axi Couple of weeks ago,
Whole family suggested it shall be name.. El Fonzo ... Because.. Mexican Walking Fish.. Mexican Name..
crazy.gif

Anyway

First couple of weeks it ate really well!
He basically ripped the blood worms apart, I also feed him Shrimp Pallets (Fish lady gave me them :3 )

Yeah, well now El Fonzo hasn't eating for 7 days.. though he's realli active, swimming up and down, gulping air, rolling around etc etc.

I dont know if its the temperature of the tank..
( 21 degrees cel ).. Reasonable temp?

Ive been hearing about this Fridge thing,
Does it help them get back in Eating or something?..

My mum is bit worried, just putting him in an ice cream container and chucking it in our kitchen fridge, coz its realli cold...

Oh.. and I saw some pictures of other Axis on this site, they all look fat... mines like a skinny stick.. How do i get him to be tubby?

Help from the experts
love.gif

Thanx!

Putting him in the fridge will not make him eat.

Theres a lot of things that could be wrong, he's gone off his food (that type), your tank lvls, maybe he hasnt done a poo yet. Wait till someone comes on with more knowledge.

hi brooke
did you cycle your tank before you added your axie and have you tested the water on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph levels since. Sometimes axies can go off their food for no reason at all, one of mine went a month without eating then i lowered the temperature from 19 degrees to 17 degrees and she is now eating again, she also got really skinny but fattened up soon enough

Ooo.. *Drains in knowledge*

Okay! Thanx..

Umm. how do I test the water.. I'm really new to this kinda stuff,
Oh yeah and he hasnt pooed for a while too D:..

And Cycle my tank?
dizzy.gif

Eek!.. he looks perfectly happy though, but i'll check the water stuff to be sure..
happy.gif

Hm, well hes spending more time on the surface of the water now, well hes like floating, and just gulping the air like every 3 minutes..

i tried poking him down back to the surface but he just floats back up..
sick.gif
?

brooke, cycling your tank is very important. http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml go to this site to learn more about cycling. i advise you put your axie in a different tank if you have one or a container with fresh dechlorinated water. if your tank is only just cycling now then your axie could get very sick or possibly die if he stays in there.

Gosh.. I feel bit scared for my axie now.. D:..

Umm, so like cycling, like filtering or something?.. D:, Ill go pop down to my aquarium to see
happy.gif

Um, well it stopped floating, because my little brother scared it, so its back into its dark cave...

Thanks for the info
love.gif

Brooke, as you are going to your aquarium take a sample of the tank water and get it tested and post the no.s here.

Sounds like your tank cud be cycling.

As Alex said take your axie out of the tank and put it in a smaller container/tank with fresh dechlorinated water. You will need to change this small tank/container every day while he is in it.

The reason he may be gasping is the ammonia and /or nitrites could be quite high in his tank, which can be quite toxic and will make your axie sick. (hence the need for your tank water to be tested.)

Read the article that Alex posted on cycling - it's very important.

People put their axies in the fridge (as long as temp. is not below 5 deg celcius) when they are sick as it slows their metabolism down, calms them down and gives them a chance to heal. At lower temperatures they may not necessarily eat.

Thanks Muchly Kapo
happy.gif

So do i just put him in like an ice-cream container? or something bit larger?

How big is he? Icecream container (if he fits) or even a bucket or small plastic storage container. Offer him food when u do the waterchanges.

Also, while he is in the small container there will be no need to do any waterchanges on your tank while it is cycling.

If u intend putting him in the fridge, put a lid on and make sure you wrap his container with a teatowel, to stop the temp spikes and light when the door opens. Also, put a bottle of dechlorinated water in fridge so the water temp is the same for when u do the daily water changes.

He's about 16 cms long.
happy.gif

Okay then !

Err now all i need to do is like, get that kit to test the water.. are they like cheap or something?, and i guess you can just buy them at a local aquarium store?

You'll need to test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrate while cycling. You can buy a master test kit which tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, low ph and high ph but not too sure how much it costs in Oz. Here it costs between $65-$75 (may be cheaper there or might be able to find it online cheaper).

Easiest thing for the the moment is take a sample of water down and get it tested and find out the no.s/results for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph. You'll be able to check out the prices of the test kits then. If too much then just take samples of tank water down each tiime you need it tested, til u can afford to buy one.

Kapo- Wow,well lucky me, ^^; , My friend use to have an axie and said she has a test kit she can give to me.. *yay* .. :>..
My axie doesn't seem to gasp for air as much now (good sign?), but still isnt eating, i put a pallet above his nose and he "ate" it, then spat it back out.

Sharn - Yeah.. their edible sized pebbles, this is like my first time having an axie, and i asked the aquarium person whats best to cover the base of the tank, and she said that pebbles were..
but since seeing all these threads, i guess she was totally wrong
angry.gif

I'm trying to convince my dad to get me sand though..
happy.gif

YEYEYEYEYEYE!

Well, when i gave him those pellets i thought he was just sick and didn't want to eat them..
so i picked up the uneaten pellets and noticed he was chasing my finger around, i thought to myself that he prob thought it was a worm XD.

So i gave him blood worms to see, and Yep.. he ate them! hehe, so happy now. He's eaten 1 and 1/2 cubes of bloodworms already.
biggrin.gif

(Message edited by brookemz on May 23, 2006)

(Message edited by brookemz on May 23, 2006)

good one Brooke! And glad to hear he is starting to eat again.

Pet shops dont usually have enough knowledge about axies to advise people correctly, though occasionally there is exceptions. If you ever need to buy test kits (when the others run out), this site is pretty good. www.theaquariumshop.com.au
I got mine for around $40 including postage.
If you can get a hold of some earthworms they are a really good food. My axies love them. All in all you are doing well and you have definately come to the right place to learn. Good luck.

happy.gif
Thanks for the Information, really appreciate it!

Yeah, this site is really helping out!

careful feeding BW on stones, you will often get stray ones he will snap at later and get a nice mouth full of intestine blocking gravel lol

LOl yeah, i seen him do that a few times but spits everything out and gives up, i guess he knows its better to get hand fed..
smile6.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back