Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Albino frogs as tank mates

C

clare

What do people think about keeping albino clawed frogs and axys together? Most advice is not to mix species but I was just wondering what people thought!!!!

C

coffo

if its the frog im thinking of theyre fairly small and will probly have its legs and so on chewed on if not eaten

C

clare

You're thinking of the dwarf frog, these guys are quite big and would not fit in an axys mouth

C

coffo

ah
k my mistake =) but i emagine the same old problems popping up as with any tank mate

S

sharn

yip, axie would probably have a go and i think alot of frogs bite at anything that moves (saw a frog with another frog in its mouth the other day). i wouldnt try it personally

A

andy

Xenopus are eating machines! When i was a kid i had these species together....very briefly....the axie was eaten

M

matt1122

I think you should check with your local vet and petshop.
animal.gif

C

clare

Don't you find that with many pet shops there knowledge is a bit vague with respects to herps. I think that the advice of not mixing species is definitely the best. I think that it is probably a potential accident waiting to happen. I've heard good stories and bad stories abut keeping different species together, but I think personally don't mix species to be on the safe side. I would hate it if anything happened to my axys or frogs.

C

coffo

yea they sell so many animals i dought they all know everything about every animal

P

peter

african albino clawed frogs eat anything moving or otherwise, thats why they're banned in some countries if, i remember right someone released some into the wild in one country and they almost caused an environmental disaster.

A

alex

Clare, you're exactly right! Luckily, more and more chain stores are hiring more experienced employees.

J

jinny

DON'T buy an apple snail! Axolotls should not have tank mates. They either eat them or get harmed by them, and with frogs, it's hard to tell if they're a dwarf or full-sized species that will eat them. The www.axolotl.org page specificly says don't do it. I'm even wary of letting my young axies near each other because they ate a sibling's leg.

J

joan

Recent research has shown that Xenopus has almost definately been the primary carrier of Chytrid fungus through the world. There are now other carriers, such as american bullfrogs, but Xenopus started it all. I would not keep Xenopus of unknown origins AT ALL if I had other amphibians in my collection, let alone put Xenopus in the same tank as something.

S

sharon

LOL don't be silly!!! Some tank mates are ok - its a matter of size and type. After all - how could the axolotl have maintained its place in this world if everything was a danger to it?

Small snails are OK. My mystery snail never bothered my axolotls - although the axolotls tormented him by knocking him off the tank wall so often his shell was dinged up and actually cracked in spots where he hit rocks. He died when he pulled apart my filter and got sucked up into the - omg brain fade - the twirly thingy.

I toss a few baby guppies in there (raised by me) as food and entertainment.

Because a tank is SO limited - axolotls have no where to go when a fish is being pesky. They're trapped and the pesky fish can do a lot of damage to the gills and stress the axolotl out.

If you want color in there breed your own platys and mollies and toss the babies in the axolotl tank for color.

As far as I can tell the baby guppies are to timid to approach the axolotls, I toss a floating plant in so they last longer - but in about a week they are all gone.

Sharon

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Interesting topic. I have a big tank, and only 1 axie. I had 2, but the older one didn't like the young one and got really ill and stressed. I don't know whether she was ill cos of stress, or some bacteria the young one brought with her. So I had to give the younger one to my friend,sniff. I really wish I could add something to my tank. But am so nervous of trying to get another axie, if my axie gets ill again,aagh. She is very selfish and spoiled. What about tortoises? Haha, I never stop asking these questions. I should take no for an answer
biggrin.gif

J

jinny

QUARANTINE. After a quarantine, then you can safely (maybe) add another axie. The size difference can't be very big or the smaller axie might end up as a meal.

I still disagree. There are no good long-term tanks mates for axies. Do you know that axies are not common in the wild?

The only reason you could add any other creatures is if you're planning for the axies to eat them (feeders should be quarantined or raised from birth in another tank).

J

joan

Jinny, axolotls are not common in the wild because of habitat destruction, not the animals that live with them (except introduced species such as pike and largemouth bass). In the wild, they'd be surrounded by snails, small fish, invertebrates, whatnot.

The reason it is not recommended to mix these species in captivity is due to size restraints. If you had an aquarium the size of a room, and it was adequately set up with hiding spaces and such, it would be more than acceptable to create a natural habitat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1