Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to keep sand clean?

A

alex

I have finally decided to use sand as a substrate for when I get my axy, now, how should I go about keeping it clean? I will be using a falling water side attached filter.

S

sharn

make sure the flow on the filter isnt strong enough to blow the sand away and the inlet is high enough so any sand cant get sucked up if it gets stirred up.

i siphon mine like normal gravel, giving it a big stir up to combat anerobic pockets as i dont have plants/snails to do the job for me in the axie tank and my sand doesnt get sucked up however in my planted tank i just hoover above the sand to pick up any mess

A

alex

First I am sorry but what does Inlet mean?
blush.gif
And thank you for the help, where would I purchase one of these vacuums?

A

anna

The inlet is the end of the filter that sucks the water in. You can get vacuums from most pet/aquarium stores. Its pretty much just a length of tubing with a bigger plastic tube on one end. They are usually self starting to save having to suck on the end. They work great.

A

alex

Ah hah! I see! I read the thread a bit but I was confused about siphons and vacuums. Is there a difference?

J

joan

Siphons are vacuums, of sorts. There are some battery-operated vacuums, but I prefer the old fashioned way (they're cheaper too!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1