Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taking axie out of water

J

jorja

Im sorry if this is a stupid question but if you take you axi out of the water and it turns into a land dwelling lizard, does it live back in the water???

M

mark

Hey Jorja - there's a great section further down the forum specifically for the discussion of Axolotls. There’s lots of fine people there who’ll help you with any axi related issues.

Have a read of this http://www.axolotl.org/tiger_salamander.htm for answers to your question. If you take your axi out of the water it will die. It will only become terrestrial if goes through metamorphosis which is very rare unless you use certain chemicals or hormones to induce it.

P.S. They aren’t lizards – they’re amphibians
wink.gif

J

jennifer

I moved this post from somewhere in the Newt section to the Axolotl section.

J

jose

ive had my axi for two wks now and i did a bit of research and i know she remains an axi unless she goes through metamorphosis. well her gills seem to be shrinking( almost gone) what happen? anyone with some info is appreciated!

(Message approved by ed)

J

jose

my axi's gills are going away. why?

(Message approved by jennewt)

kapo

Reaction score
Could be water quality. Did you cycle your tank? Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph? If you don't have a test kit - take a sample down to your local fish shop/aquarium/petshop and get them to test it.

S

sharn

see above from kapo.

ammonia burns are common in newly setup tanks and that will cause the gill filaments to nearly dissappear. is your new tank cycled?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1