Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axol died. why?

A

anna

My axol (a brown coloured young one)was shedding its skin for a few days so on the off chance it was the filter i turned it off and the poor thing seemed happier. The next day I gave it a quick salt bath for about 5 mins then put it into clean water while I cleaned its tank. When I was putting it back in it wasnt moving alot and I noticed a little red spot on its body. I wasnt too worried about the lack of movement as it has played dead b4 but when I woke up in the morning it was dead and completely white. When I pulled it out all the white came off as it was skin I think. I want another one and dont want to repeat this. Ne suggestions?

(Message approved by ed)

J

joleen

hi there!
Im sorry about your axie!

Im guessing your axie's skin was burnt by ammonia, and possibly also had a fungal infection (the white stuff).

100% water changed should never be done, you loose all the good bacteria in the water which your axie thrives on.
Your tank needs to by cycled before your axie can be put in your tank.
By "cycled" i mean established.

You should start off reading this link:
http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm

Theres so many useful info throughout this great site, including other threads which will help you a bunch.

happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!