Squarge Footage per Axie

M

michelle

obviously they need atleast enough water to cover them (reccomended 6 inches) what square footage is reccomended per axie? I read that they can be successfully kept in a 10g which seems a bit small for a full grown adult.

(Message edited by cell on March 24, 2006)

you need at LEAST 30x30cm of floor space per axolotl but i find its still too cramped, i prefer 45x45cm. it doesnt matter how high you have the water, the higher the better i say as long as its enough to cover your axolotl. larger bodies of water are easier to maintain. i cant help ya on the 10gal tank, not sure of the dimensions (im in new zealand and we use cm and L hehe)

thank you for responding, i helped out at a big fish rescue where there were 30+ tanks, and there was one in paticular i was eyeing for axies because it was longer and wider then it was tall. it was probably over 40 gallons (it was homemade) 40 gal is roughly 151 liters

(Message edited by cell on March 27, 2006)

151L is a great sized tank, and the floor space is definatly more important than height so your on the right track, well done! fish rescue sounds fun, can you tell me more about that, do you find people that have animals in poor conditions and go and confisgate them?

well i am a member of a local aquarium society (east coast aquarium society) we were tipped off several weeks ago that a man who had kept 30+ tanks in immaculate conditions had died from extreemly invasive cancer (he was only in his 40s) his tanks conditions had been deteriorating over the past year as he became sicker.

so a group of people from his province (new brunswick)and the neighbouring province (nova scotia) travelled and rescued as many fish as they could, some fish were left because they were though to be illegal to transport. It took 3 weeks to get the proper documentation then a larger crew was assembled with a rented transport truck to go remove all remaining tanks fish and equipment. tank size ranged from 5 - 225 gallons (18 - 851 liters) also all gravel was removed from tanks which must have added up to a huge ammount of weight.

All items are now being auctioned off via silent auction in as is conditions. Many tanks were home made, some where even made of old shop windows and had buisness hours decaled on them. All proceeds from all auctions will go back to the man's widow and child.

over 40 fish were rescued who are currently in foster care to retrain them to eat, and cure diseases. they will be auctioned when their conditions improve

(Message edited by cell on March 27, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back