Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Why does Pinky keep biting Brain?

M

mrs

<font color="aa00aa"><font face="courier new,courier"></font>Pinky and the Brain have lived together in harmony for the past year when we got them together. Up until now that is...
sick.gif
Pinky has started having a go at the Brain which has resulted in one leg with a foot missing and one leg completely gone!!! They have plenty of room, nice caves to hide in and are fed on a diet of bloodworms...please help!!!</font>}

J

jojo

How often do you feed them?

You might wanna separate them just for now..

sad.gif

S

salli

}<font color="aa00aa"><font face="courier new,courier"></font>They get fed every two days and they have live bloodworm at the weekend...I have a spare tank but was reluctant to separate them but guess if thats wot it takes
errr.gif
</font>}

C

charlie

I'd suggest maybe feeding them a bit more often, and making sure there are plenty of places for each to hide or chill out (maybe post pics if possible)

I'd suspect that the most common cause of arguments will be food or arguments over space.

J

joão

Pinky is a female?
Cause if so, it is normal, females tend to be more agressive than males , most of the female animals get pretty agressive after they lay eggs, it does not change anything if you give more food than usual , well it never worked with me I had this problem with one of my females , she just walk around the tank chasing the other axies just to bit them, but with my other females I have no problems, well some axies do have the cannibalism gene more active then others, I had to separate my female and when she is more calm I put her again in the tank but I always keep my eye on her, and if she tries to do something I take her out of the tank again and wait more time and try to put her again until she is calm, I´ve been doing this for a long time every year is the same thing.

S

sharn

never had any gender fighting personally, if anything my males are more agro. id also suggest adding some more hiding spots or just something to break up the tank a bit so its harder for them to find each other
happy.gif

p.s. love the names!

S

samantha

love the names, are they off a cartoon because when i was younger there was a cartoon called Pinky and the brain! hehe love the names!

S

salli

yeah...the names are off the cartoon...my daughters sense of humour so she has to take credit for that I guess
biggrin.gif
One is black (the brain) and the other is white (pinky). To be honest with u guys, I am not so sure which is which gender wise, we kinda thought one was male and one was female but I am not too sure
blush.gif
Jeez I feel such a dweeb. We have decided over the weekend that we will rehouse them in another bigger again tank and put lots of hidey holes in for them and see how that goes, but obviously while I am setting all that up I guess I will have to try and move the exisitng tank about a bit and give them more obstructions!!! They do seem to have plenty of room and it only seems to happen at meal times so I think maybe a bit more food might help???? will definately try and get the camera set up so can post pics asap. Thanks you lot for all your help!!!!
love.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!