Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl rescue.

tony

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I bought 3 fish tanks yesterday, and when emptying them discovered a lot of axolotl spawn. have saved as many as possible by putting them into a small tank for now, with the same water,an air pump and filter, water temp is slightly above 20 without a heater.
As some appear to have hatched and occasionally I see the odd twitch from others still in egg sack, I decided to throw some daphnia in to feed them, is this ok.

J

jojo

Hey Tony!!
WOW thats exciting!!!

As much as id love to help you, l know very little about hatchy babies LOL sorry... but..

You may get alot more help going to the
"Eggs, Larvae & Breeding" section and there would be HEAPS and HEAPS on info there that would help you. Not to mention the people that will be able to help too.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/23978.html?1141286955

People will still be able to help you here, but you may get more help in that section
happy.gif

Congrats on the rescue!!!
happy.gif

tony

Reaction score
cheers jojo, great help, still need to find out a bit more info about heating etc. cheers.

S

sharn

no heating required, cold water animals and they hate anything above 24C. if you can keep it below 20C even better!

tony

Reaction score
Hello sharn, thats great. was worried as it dropped to about 15 over the last couple of nights. was concerned as a few more have hatched and they seem to just lay on the bottom, looking dead, but reading other peoples forums, that looks like normal behaviour. the first one to hatch did the same and that is now swimming from bottom to top every so often, looking quite healthy.

S

sharn

15 is great! dont worry about that temperature, i wish i could manage to keep my temps that low. they dont move too much once they first hatch i dont think, once theyve absorbed their yolk sack i think they start looking for food and get a bit more active

tony

Reaction score
well its been a little while now and some of the axies are growing but i am finding dead ones on a regular basis, is this normal, hence the reason they have so many.
55277.jpg

S

sharn

yes, dead ones are just part of the process. dont worry about it unless you have large numbers dropping off, that could be due to something nasty that can spread to all the others if theyre in the same tank/bin etc.

as you said, thats why they have so many, like all egg layers they lay alot to make sure at least a few survive to keep the species going

tony

Reaction score
thanks sharn, thats good to know. how long will it take for them to grow to about an inch?
and also when can you tell what colour they will be, as you can see from my photo, they seem dark in colour. cheers

S

sharn

pretty hard to tell what theyre guna be until they get a bit bigger, wont be albino though. probably wildtype or melanoid, maybe leucistic (not sure if they get lighter as they get bigger or not)

an inch wont take long to reach with lots of food, i dont know definates as ive never raised lots of babies but my 6cm baby grew about .5cm each week. they do grow super dooper quick!!

tony

Reaction score
I dont know what the colours are that you have suggested, but thank you anyway, heres a tank i am just setting up for malawi cichlids, its 6x2x2.
I think the baby axies would have a great time in this.
55286.jpg

S

sharn

ooohhh yeah! a 6x2x2 tank for axies is like giving them a country to themselves!!! love the big rocks you got in there

tony

Reaction score
there not doing to well, i think i am losing to many. wish i knew someone local to me who could take them and bring them on, so if by any chance there is someone out there who lives near me, then give me a bell,cheers

S

sharn

if theyre all in together seperate them up in individual containers, might be something catchy.

dont worry too much, raising lots of axies can be a pretty hard thing to do and i give you credit for trying, ive been keeping them for a few years now and im hoping mine wont get jiggy, so much work isnt it! have a look in the private trade and exchange and post something there maybe?

tony

Reaction score
have just cleaned out the dead young, lookes like a mass of transparent jelly, with inbedded babies. have added a couple of glasses of fresh water. still 60 or so alive and growing and they all look healthy. cant do what you suggested sharn as i dont have the space for 60 odd small containers, but if i could then i would.

J

jojo

Hey Tony.
Just separate them in groups.. say about...
4-6 groups. Just breaks it up alittle, and probably easier to keep an eye on the individual axies
happy.gif
to make sure nothings wrong
happy.gif

Your tank looks fantastic by the way
** jelous **

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1