Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Heat stress

S

sharn

most of the time, but it can be due to other things. heat stresses them lowering their immune system and then thats when the opertunistic fungus takes hold.

hope that helped!

C

coffo

what i find odd is how the fungas gets there in the first place are there millions of spores everywhrere?

S

sharn

how did they get into the air in the first place? pretty cool learning about how fungus comes to be in your tank!

E

edward

If the fungus occurs in a water source and the pool of water dries out, the spores can then be distributed whenever the ground is disturbed and there is some form of air flow. It can also be introduced in water, on plants, etc.

Ed

J

joan

I doubt you guys have puffballs down your way, but they're a fungus that forms in large white balls. Ripe puffballs are edible, but my favorite thing to do with puffballs is throw them against a tree. They explode into a big puff of white powder (the spores). The spores would then float on the wind until they settled on the ground and formed new puffballs.

S

sharn

oh wow, totally cool joan! we have the mushroom 'puffballs' are these the same things? dont think id be smashing any near my house for fear of them getting into tanks (probably already some in there)

fungus is actually pretty cool, apart from the obvious bad parts, quite interesting how it gets about. i always thought it would live purely in all waters, not take to the air too!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1