Perfect tank mates

T

teesha

I'd like to start this thread, coz lets face it. A tank with a few axys can be a bit motionless...but one with fish could lead to stressed fish and gill-less axys!!!! So i can think of one truely amazing tank mate!!! The GHOST SHRIMP , these gentle almost completely transparent fresh water shrimp are gentle little creatures which will scavange and eat a tiny bit of algae if they feel fit to do so! They are perfect! They will not bully your axy and will rarely become a snak (due to your axy feeling particularily energetic one day). if only we could discover another tank mate that would fill up the upper section of the tank!!!! Which is generally motionless in an axy tank! Any suggestions????

btw they are pretty fast little creature and see thru, so ur axy will most likely can't see it or be bothered! i wonder if the aussie native "agazzi's glass fish," aka "olive perchlet" will be good. They are tiny!! Almost transparent as well, and i doubt they will pick on the axy..... has anyone tried??? it might nip the gills, im not sure, never owned one....i think i have started something with the transparency thing....
biggrin.gif

Its no a matter of being transparent though, axies dont have much sight as it is. They rely on there other senses.
The axie would feel the water movement of a tank mate. They also rely on smell, poor blind buggers
happy.gif

I have no idea whether an axie would be able to catch one though. Then again... feeder fish are fast and tiny, and axies can catch them...

??

ppl have posted that their axys try sometimes but are yet to catch the little fellas
smile6.gif

Good point!!! i didn't think of that!!!!
Well in reality its a nice snak for ur little friend, and it's not like those little shrimp are dearly cherished and expensive eh??? But for the while it was a good thought the transparency thing....oh wellz!! lol

alot of people keep them in their tank as a 'snack' if their axies ever do manage to snap at one as it walks past and catches em. good food ive been told too

I have white cloud mountain minnows in one of my tanks with 2 axies. The minnows are very non agressive but they have become the occasional snack.

I got my ghost shrimp for a doller au each. Lovley creatures, too bad only a couple remained the next day, then there where non left the following
happy.gif
, but my axies are happy
happy.gif
, and thats what matters.

Haha,what else would you expect?It's not like axies go "oh cool,company" aye!Still,I have thought about getting some 'helpers' for my axie tank.Can you get these ghost shrimp in NZ?Am steering clear of catfish due to recent stories about them getting their spines stuck in axie mouths.My blackmore Sabbath(slow fish) ate his minnow mate,poor Zippy,so axies would do the same..The only worry would be bugs carried by the 'helpers' or mates if they did get eaten.

I think white clouds are far too cute to feed to an axie!!!
shocked.gif
u havn't actually seen any ghost shrimp in melbourne....does anyone know who stocks them? Or where i can order them from??

I have a ghost shrimp with Axelina. When I originally got Axelina I had 5 ghost shrimp in my tank,but over the months 4 have disappeared. I do not know whether Axelina caught them, or they died naturally, and Axelina ate them after. But 1 ghost shrimp remains. Few times I have caught Axelina trying to catch him.But often she just ends up biting the empty air or eating a white bit of sand, as the ghost shrimp is very quick to move away!It's really funny to watch
lol.gif

see we a geniously discovered the perfect axy tank mate/snack! No harm at all to the axy, and even a bonus if its fast enuff!!! lol

for me the whole idea is to get a black light... so ya transperency and lots of bright florecent colors.... turn on the black light and kick back relax and watch my axie ... cant wait
rofl.gif

what will the black light do?? flouro colours? what? im confused!!

white clouds are cute yes, but they are a pest!! i bought a couple a few years ago and now my pond is FULL of them. They breed like rabbits.

wow! really??! Maybe i shoudl get some. I have some rosy barbs in my pond and there are heaps of wrigglers and algae. My indoor larger rosies constantly keep my algae in check and eat allt he treats 'wriggles' i give them. but the pond ones are useless!!! lol. so u would recommend the WCs to be another perfect tank mate??

Yep. maybe danios as well although i don't have any.. they seem really close to WCs in temperment etc. having the WCs in there is quite good cause then i can go on holiday without worrying about feeding the axies - i just chuck a couple holiday blocks in the tank to feed the WCs and the axies eat the fish, lol.

I just recomend another axie,tho I have had another axolotl that ripped apart my other one luckily he survived.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Teesha Vella wrote on Sunday, 26 February, 2006 - 08:56 :</font>

" btw they are pretty fast little creature "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
They ARE fast. But not fast enough! ;) I used to have 18 Brachydanio rerio. Axies were much faster!
BTW: The only reason I kept them together was to feed axies with live food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back