Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water quality in Sydney

K

keiran

Hi!

Does anyone know anything about the water quality for keeping axolotls in Sydney?

Is it generally hard or soft? Alkaline or acidic?

Just trying to get my setup right for Bill!

J

joão

Just call your water company in the area and ask them, you can also take the water to a local pet store, or buy products to check it on your own

R

rita

Most water in Aus is hard, and has alot of minerals in it. Though I've never actually tested the tap water's PH... might have to do that one day out of curiosity. lols

R

rowan

im just finishd my water service course in tafe coz im an apprentice plumber and the ph in syd is 7 and slightly alkaline

A

amira

You might have a lot of problems with the levels of ammonia and nitrate in Sydney water. I was advised by my veterinarian to have the water sit for a day or two before using in a tank (that's when you do a water change), as the drought and over-cholrination cause many problems for sensitive axolotls.

I find that any tap water in Sydney is very alkaline due to over chlorination. the best thing to do would be to pick up a pH testing kit from your pet store and test the water yourself- it varies depending on the catchment area that you live within.

S

stipe

yey some actual sydneyiens in this forum, lol. i dont really know but my ph is 8 so thats gud.

R

robert

I live in fairfield and the PH of our tap water is between 7.8-8 nil ammonia and nitrites. Have not tested KH but for water changes I use RO water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1