How best to catch my Axolotl to move him!

K

keiran

I don't remember how I moved him from one tank to another originally. He's very fast, and the one other time I tried to scoop him up in a plastic container he demonstrated great speed and agility in escaping me.

What's the best to catch and move an axie. I have to remove all the gravel from the tank, to replace it with much finer substrate material. I don't want him in the tank while this is happening.

get a net, mine just go into the net without fear, but i imagine chasing them round with a container with all the water movement might stress them a bit

2 weeks prior to my axie moving from a temp tub to her new 3ft tank i would place the net on the bottom and feed her crickets with my chopsticks, she was so busy worring about the crickets that she got used to the net, while she was eating the cricket i would slowly raise the net around her starting only a little and getting higher every couple of days. now i put the net in her tank and she hops into it, food can get you anything ha ha ha, but i still do give her the cricket but only when shes in the net. its like rewarding a dolphin for a trick

i just lay a container on its side on the bottom and guide the axie in with my hands, alot of people use the 'pincer' method too, two nets either side and bring em together viola!!

denise- wicked trick!!

Thats a great method denise!

I use my hands to guide them in the net, very easy. Any kind of net or container will do the trick, if your guiding them with your hand.

My trick is to use a net, but I place my hand underneath it to cup the water so they don't come all the way out of the water. Probably makes no difference but I like to think it does. I transfer them to a tub with alot of moss in it and they pretty much hide in that untill I take them out again.

They are very fast LOL little buggers

Dont just scoop him up while hes frantically swimming to escape the net. Hold the net next to him, touch him so he feels your there, then slowly guide him. If he swims away... keep trying.

My axies used to be so scared of the net - Poor babies. But now, it as if they know the net is not leaving the tank till they are in it... so they give up while they're ahead! LOL

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back