Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Why is every1 putting their axies in the fridge?

S

samantha

Im new to keeping axolotls, so I dont really know much..(so forgive me for the dumb questions) Ive had mine for about 6mths, and they look happy, they have a new tank that im getting ready 4 them soon. But why do ppl put their axies in the fridge? should i put mine it the fridge? ?

S

samantha

its ok guys i just read about y axies go in the fridge... hehe told u it was a dumb question

E

emil

Maybe you have air-conditioning in your house, Samantha! I'm in Melbourne and I don't, and this summer has been really challenging. A few times I came home in the evening and found the temperature in the kitchen was 30 degrees so the temperature in the tank would have been getting up in the 20s. I think I need a bigger tank. I only have one axy but small tanks heat up too fast . I have had to put ice bricks in the tank quite a few times!

C

charlie

I have a 2 footer in sydney and I run it with ice bricks in the tank almost constantly.
I have 4 ice bricks which go in two at a time as well as a frozen bottle of water (always dechlorinate the water, and leave room for the ice to expand - you don't want a split bottle of chlorinated water in the tank melting) which I pretty much rotate to keep the temp down.

can't believe I'm looking forward to winter....

S

samantha

well im in perth and its 39 degrees here 2day,(no air con either) so iv been adding icebloks 2 my tank, like u do charlie and they do look more settled. it was 21 degrees in the tank b4 i put the ice in, and its lowered slowly, so thats gd.thanx 4 the idea!

I cant wait 4 winter either!

A

alex

my tanks 13.5 lol. i think thats mainly because of the fan and the fact its freezing over here.

C

charlie

Sam - be really careful if adding actual ice-cubes from your freezer. if is water thats chlorinated you could be creating a misery.
I lost my last axie when my flatmate put a frozen ice bottle in the tank that'd split, so squeeze out some water so the ice can expand, and put some declorinator in it before it goes in the freezer.

Ice packs are good, but don't seem to last as long.
happy.gif

A

andy

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Charlie wrote on Saturday, 04 March, 2006 - 01:48 :</font>

" can't believe I'm looking forward to winter...."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

This winter in Warsaw, it was -29 deg. C. for two days. Lowest temp. for last 50 years.
And now... please specify, what do you call 'winter'
happy.gif

I'm sorry for off-topic.

tony

Reaction score
hello all. new to this site and new to axolotls. i have just saved hundreds of spawn when i bought some tanks from someone who's husband had left her. she sold all his tanks and equipment to me. 72"24"24"....43"26"26"....43"24"24"....24"15"12" 2 external eheim filters, 1 internal eheim filter, a very large air pump to run 6 or more tanks, 8 heaters, tons of gravel and loads of large bogwood, and loads of accessories. and also hundreds of axolotl spawn. all for £100. bargain or what. anyway what i would like to know please as you are all discussing water and ice, i would like to put these newly hatched axolotl into a better tank, what would i be better using, tap water or the water thats in the water butt in the garden? cheers

S

samantha

hey andy, well winter 4 us is anything inbetween 5-10 degrees usually, but it has been known 2 be hot enough to swim!!
How do keep your axies in that temperature??? with a heater???
lol.gif

S

samantha

ps-thanx charlie for the warning about the chlorine in tap water re ice cubes, it could have been a disaster, and i could have lost my babies! lol
happy.gif

S

sharn

depends whats in your garden water tony, if it can contain things like bird poop etc go with tap water and use dechlorinator

tony

Reaction score
The garden water is in an enclosed container, but its been said on another page that it may be to soft. dont fancy using loads of little containers to rear them either as i dont have much space. was hoping to put them in one or two tanks as there are no babies that are so big that they could eat each other or even cause harm to each other. cheers

S

sharn

they will once they start growing!! the bigger ones will eat the smaller ones if they can and they will all snap at each other
sad.gif
even if you use dividers it will be better than nothing, its survival of the fittest in the tanks lol.

if you have lots of icecream containers you could put a few to a container and seperate them out by size. i know what you mean by dont having alot of room, sadly thats what ya need for baby axies, i think the lady just forgot to tell ya that! also keeping them seperate bodies of water will let you save some if a few get fungus and die, if theyre all in the same tank/container it can knock the whole lot out very quickly.

pretty tricky raising bubbas but im sure you'll get it all sorted in no time!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1